Collection of copies of English documents, Written early in the 17th century
- Fols. 1-231b, 349-51a, 355-66. Copies (with a few originals) of papers relating to the rights of the Hanse towns, as negotiated between the Commissioners of qu. Elizabeth and those of the emperor Rudolph ii, at Bremen, consisting of commissions, instructions, formal letters, reports, etc., Aug. 29, 1602-Aug. 30, 1603.
- Fol. 233. Copies (with a few originals) of the letters sent by James i to the emperor and ten princes of Germany, June 25, 1603, in Latin, with the replies of then of them, see below: in Latin.
- Fol. 285. Copies (with a few originals) of papers relating to the rights of the Hanse towns, as negotiated between the Commissioners of King James i and those of the Hanse towns, in London, March 14 160 3/4 July 1605.
Among the originals are:
- Fol. 26, Queen Elizabeth's letter to the German Commissioners at Bremen, Dec. 29, 1602, with fine signature, in Latin
- Fol. 56a, Letter from sir Robert Cecyll (afterw. 1st earl of Salisbury) to Stephen Le Sieur, March 9, 160 2/3
- Fol. 229, Safe-conduct for S. Le Sieur, in Latin, June 25, 1603, on parchment, signed by the king
- Fol. 231a, A Commission to S. Le Sieur for posthorses, June 23, 1603, with the signatures of the lords of the Council
- Fol. 240a, the original letter of art. 2 to the Duke of Pomerania, in Latin, June 25, 1603, with the king's autograph conclusion, and signature: never delivered, since the duke had died in Feb. 160 0/1
- At fols. 353, 351b 352 are three letters to S. Le Sieur from Richard Jackson at Vienna, May 4/14 1614, about the dressing etc. of cloth in England, and (two) from William Baldwin at Hamburg, 1619-21
- Other originals are at fols. 277, 349, 352 365
The whole collection was clearly made by sir Stephen Le Sieur, who was Assistant to the English Commissioners above mentioned. A list of the contents of fols. 1-346 is at fol. v.
- Creation: Written early in the 17th century
Language of Materials
MS. Arch. Selden B. 7
Old Selden mark = B. 7
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 3337
Manuscript 3351 acquired by the Bodleian Library
13 1/2 × 8 3/4 in.