A valuable series of original state papers, 15th cent.-1723, written in the 15th cent.-1723
Mostly papers from 1570-1660: the chief of which are:
- (fols. 6, 8, 13, 15, 31, 38) Letters from the Privy Council, signed, 1570-92, about Anabaptists, property of fugitives, etc.: a copy of one of Oct. 16, 1580, about the export of grain, is on fol. 109
- (fol. 24) Two letters from the earl of Leicester to lord North, Sept. 10, 1581, and Dec. 13 (no year given)
- (fol. 27) Order for the committal of lord William Howard to the Tower, directed to lord North by the Chancellor and others, May 6, 1585
- (fol. 40) Two letters from the earl of Essex, one about the parsonage of Martham, Feb. 24, 1593/4, and Oct. 11 (no year given)
- (fol. 49) Copy of a letter from the King to the Speaker of the House of Commons, Dec. 3, 1621
- (fol. 50) 'The Catholiques petition to the Kinges maiestie, May 20°, 1624', with the answer
- (fol. 54) Seven business letters of bp. William Juxon, Mar. 6, 1636/7-June 6, 1640
- (fol. 66b) Letter from George Monk, duke of Albemarle, July 7, 1657
- (fol. 75) Letter signed by Christina, queen of Sweden, to Louis XIV, upon the birth of the Dauphin, '11 Martij. 1662.'
- (fol. 78) Paston papers, 15th cent.-1672, including twelve letters from John de Vere lord Oxford (d. 1461), two from the duke of Norfolk (d. 1461), and five from Thomas de Scales lord Scales (d. 1460), all to John Paston (d. 1466).
There are also many signatures of bishops and nobles.
- Creation: written in the 15th cent.-1723
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 393
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21969
The 1840 Catalogue gives a full description of the papers.
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
13 1/2 × 9 3/4 in.