Literary miscellanies, written in the last quarter of the 16th cent. by S. Batman and J. Dee (?)
MS. Douce 363
Some on public affairs (stated to be partly in the hand of Stephen Batman, D.D., d. 1584, and partly in the hand of dr. John Dee, d. 1608): among which are:
- (fol. 1v) Letter from Thomas duke of Norfolk to the queen, Oct. 10. 1571
- (fol. 3) Arms of Batman or Bateman
- (fol. 4) Dr John Dee's Treatise on Navigation. Copied from the printed edition by 'S. B.', Jan. 4. 1577/8
- (fols. 39, 119, 127v, 130) Theological pieces, 1578, etc.
- (fol. 48) George Cavendish's Life of Wolsey, with illustrations, copied by 'S. B.', Sept. 1. 1578
- (fol. 94) Papers about English abbeys at the Dissolution, especially in Huntingdonshire and Somersetshire (Glastonbury & Joseph of Arimathea)
- (fol. 111v) 'The some of all the conferrence ... betweene the earle Morton & John Dury & mr. Walker ... 2 June 1581'
- (fol. 115v) Plan of Milford haven, and remarks on it in connexion with the Spanish preparations, by N. Butler
- (fol. 126v) Medical recipes
- (fol. 129) The petition of the gentry of Suffolk to the lords of the Council, July 1583
- (fol. 138) 'A trwe Copiæ. This Acte & Ordinance was made ... in the Parliament holden at Westminster in the viij yere of ... kinge Henri the Seconde' 1161-2, about women, copied from the 'Jurie book belonging to the prison called the Clynk', Feb. 1. 1579/80, with a drawing of the prison (in London?)
- (fol. 142) The Lord's Prayer, in Turkish.
Douce has added a full list of the pieces in the book.
- written in the last quarter of the 16th cent. by S. Batman and J. Dee (?)
MS. Douce 363
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21938
Purchased from 'mrs. Comer' by Douce.
13 1/4 × 8 7/8 in.