A large collection of English political poems, chiefly satirical, composed in the reigns of Charles I and Charles II, written in about 1640-1685
- (fol. 5v). 'A Songe of the Lord Keeper his entertainment in Cambridge', beg. 'Emmanuell sent'
- (fol. 6v). 'To the House of Commons', about 1640 (?), beg. 'My Masters, you that undertake the game'
- (fols. 8, 11v, 12). Poems on Strafford, begg. 'Great Strafford', 'Poore Strafford', 'Here lyes one' by W. Prynne, 'Here rests wise and valiant Dust', 'Goe empty Joyes'
- (fol. 15v). 'The ballad of Charing Cross', beg. 'Undon, Undone'
- (fols. 16-18). Poems on the duke of Buckingham's death, begg. 'Heavens blesse', 'Immortal man', to Felton, 'Sooner I may', 'Awak, sad Brittain'
- (fol. 26). 'The Puritan & the Papist, a satire' by Abr. Cowley, cf. fol. 42
- (fol. 35v). 'A Libell on the commitment of Wm lord archbishop of Canterbury', beg. 'My little Lord'
- (fol. 41). 'The Prologue and Epilogue to a Commedy made by the poet Aquila [Pooley] presented at the entertainment of the Princes Highness by the schollars of Trinity Colledge in Cambridge, March  1641', 1641/2
- (fol. 79). 'A Ballade on the Duke of Monmouth's Entertainment at Oxford by ... the Mayor Mr [R.] Pauling and ... the Aldermen & Bargmen of the city ...', 1679, beg. 'Yee Townsmen and Scholars'
- (fol. 117). 'On Sir Thomas Fairfax' (d. 1671), beg. 'Vnder this stone'
- (fol. 154v). 'A Litany for the holy time of Lent', a satire on Obadiah Walker, beg. 'From all the women'
- (fol. 156). 'Clarendon's House Warming', beg. 'When Clarendon had discerned.'.
At fol. 158 is, in a different hand, 'Aduice to the Caruer', a poem on the execution of lord Stafford in 1678: beg. 'Bring me a man.' A few pieces are in Latin, a few in prose: several have been printed. A leaf or two are wanting before fol. 2. The 1840 Catalogue is very far from exhaustive.
On the binding is 'A. P., 1642' stamped in gold: the volume may have been begun at that date.
- Creation: written in about 1640-1685
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 357
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21932
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
12 1/8 × 9 7/8 in.