A 'tretice compiled of a Pore Caytif', often wrongly attributed to Wycliff, written early in the 15th cent.
Including a commentary on:
- (fol. 1v) the Apostles' Creed
- (fol. 10) the 'Decem Mandata'
- (fol. 39v) 'Expositio Orationis Dominice'
- 'Quedam deuote summe.'
These last are the treatises known by the titles (not here found, see MS no. 11934 for the English titles):
- 'Concilium Christi' (fol. 49v)
- De patientia bona (fol. 52)
- De tentatione (fol. 53v)
- Diploma caeli (fol. 54)
- De spirituali praelio (fol. 57v)
- De nomine Jesu (fol. 63)
- De amore Jesu (fol. 65v)
- De vera mansuetudine (fol. 68v)
- De effectu humanae voluntatis (fol. 70)
- De vita activa et contemplativa (fol. 71)
- Speculum castitatis (fol. 73)
Fol. 83 is torn, and bears 'Hus' (15th cent.), and later scribbling about Abchurch (co. Dorset ?) and Horley, co. Surrey.
- Creation: written early in the 15th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 288
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21862
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
8 × 5 5/8 in.