Treatises by st. Augustine, written in the 12th cent. in France (?)
- (fol. 1) 'De baptismo contra Donatistas', preceded by the Retractation: a fragment only, ending 'recesserunt: in quo a nobis.'
- (fol. 2) The Collatio cum Maximino, wanting the beginning: beg. 'ritatis diriget uos': at end 'Explicit. Vere gesta contuli.'
- (fol. 15v) The Disputatio contra Maximinum, imperfect at end: ends 'ut in sua substan.'
- (fol. 48) Colophon:--' ... Collatio beati Augustini cum Pascentio Arriano', imperfect at beginning: beg. 'centij responsio si nichil preterquam quod scriptum est.' This work is not by Augustine.
- (fol. 53v) 'De musica', preceded by some chapters on the same subject from the Etymologiae of Isidorus (at fol. 50v) and Augustine's Retractation (fol. 53).
Leaves are wanting after fols. 1, 22, 47
- Creation: written in the 12th cent. in France (?)
102 leaves, in double columns
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 198
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21772
A facsimile of fol. 1rv is in the 1840 Catalogue.
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
'Letiensis' is written in a 13th cent. hand on fol. 1, which seems to imply that the volume was in the library of the monastery of Laetiae (Liesse) in France.
On parchment, with fine illuminated border and capitals, some including small miniatures, mutilated
14 3/8 × 10 3/8 in.