Biographies, written in the 15th cent. in England
- (fol. 1) The Life of 'Seint Elizabeth of Spalbek' (d. 1266), translated from the Latin by Philippus Claraevallensis, with a prologue: prol. beg. 'As seint Jerom': text beg. 'In the prouince of Leody.'
- (fol. 12) The Life of 'Seinte Cristin the meruelous of the town of seinte Trudons in Hasban', with a prologue (beg. 'We purposynge to write'), in which the author says he is an 'unworthy frere of the order of prechers', and that he wrote the life eight years after her death, i.e. about A.D. 1232: text beg. 'Cristyn the worschepful virgyne.'
- (fol. 26v) The Life of 'Seint Mary of Oegines', translated from the Latin of Jacobus Acconensis or de Vitriaco (A.D. 1215), with a prologue: prol. beg. 'Worshypful James': text beg. 'In the bisshoperiche of Leody.'
- (fol. 76v) 'The copy of a letter touchynge the Lyfe of Seint Kateryn of Senys, the whiche lettir endyted in Latyn dan Stephen of Senys ...', a Carthusian: beg. 'Brother Stephen': followed (fol. 87) by 'A shorte apologetik of this englissh compyloure': beg. 'Seynt James the apostil.'
- (fol. 89v) '... Tretys of the Seuen poyntes of trewe loue & euerlastynge wisdame drawen oute of the boke that is writen in Latyn & callyd Orologium sapiencie', with a prologue addressed to a lady by her 'trewe chapeleyne': prol. beg. 'My moste worschipful lady': text beg. 'Sentite de Domino ... These word.'.
'Beauvall'. Iste liber est domus Belle Vallis ordinis Cartusiensis in comitatu Notyngham' (15th cent.): 'John Wells 1776.'.
- Creation: written in the 15th cent. in England
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 114
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21688
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
On parchment, with coloured capitals, etc.
9 × 6 5/8 in.