Latin manuscript in five parts, written in the 13th-14th cent.
Made up of five MSS, comprising:
- (early 14th cent., written in England) (fol. 1) A calendar from some liturgical volume, with Nov. and Dec. mutilated. At Oct. 1 is added 'Obitus domini Thome de Whatton quondam rector [sic] ecclesie de Speldhist [co. Kent] anno regni regis Edwardi tercij a Conquestu Xo et litera dominicalis F', i.e. A.D. 1336. Owned by 'Bartholomewe Salmon' in the 16th cent. (fol. 2): pp. 1-12 of a former volume
- (13th cent., written in England) (fol. 5) 'Hic incipit Bestiarium de naturis animalium, & primo de Leone': beg. 'Bestiarium vocabulum proprie convenit': with many curious illustrations: ends 'in filios inobediencie debachatur': pp. 132-205 of a volume, but a leaf is lost after fol. 28: see also fol. 121v. At fols. 30b, 32v are two short histories of the Cross: begg. 'Qualiter Adam et Eua ... Post peccatum Ade' and 'Mirabiliter cepit oriri': the 2nd piece ends (imperfect) 'mulieribus illuc aduenientibus': pp. '203' - 211: preceded by a full-page miniature of the expulsion from Paradise
- (13th cent., written in England, in double columns). 4 (fol. 34). The Opus Parabolarum of Odo de Cerinton or Cheriton: prol. beg. 'Beatus Basilius' or 'Aperiam in parabolis': text beg. 'Venerunt ligna ut ungerent': added rubric at end 'Explicit tractatus de Basilio beato.'At fol. 48v part of a treatise on the Seven deadly sins follows: beg. 'Dicatur omnibus parochianis': fol. 50 is a single leaf of the 13th cent. containing a history of St. Mary Magdalene: beg. 'Narrat Ioseph quod Maria.' Pp. 212-43, 246-7
- (13th cent.)(fol. 51) A treatise on the care of horses: in 39 chapters: beg. 'Solet repleri seruus': with miniature. Pp. 248 - 287
- (13th cent.) (fol. 68) A treatise of monsters and portents, beg. 'Cum uoluntas conditoris', with many curious illustrations: followed by 'De septem mirabilibus mundi' (fol. 115v), excerpts from the Polycraticus of John of Salisbury (fol. 116v) and other small pieces, chiefly theological: at fol. 138 is the Vaticinia de pontificibus Romanis of Joachimus abbas, with illustrations: and at fol. 146v some Latin- French and French Latin vocabularies.
- Creation: written in the 13th-14th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 88
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21662
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
On paper, illuminated
8 1/2 × 6 1/2 in.