Book of Hours, written in the early part of the 15th cent. in France
Part of a Book of Hours, including:
- (fol. 1) the Office for the Dead: wanting the last leaf
- (fol. 47) the Fifteen Joys, in French
- (fol. 52) the Seven Requests, in French: wanting the last leaf
- hymn, imperfect at beginning
There are several miniatures, and every page has an elaborate border with grotesques, birds, and flowers. Nearly every leaf has the same illumination on the verso as on the recto, but reversed.
- Creation: written in the early part of the 15th cent. in France
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 77
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21651
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
On parchment, illuminated, binding: red velvet, rebacked
8 3/8 × 6 1/4 in.