Hours of the Virgin according to the use of Utrecht, preceded by a calendar (fol. 1), written in the 15th cent. in the Netherlands
- (fol. 48) Hours of the Cross
- (fol. 53) Penitential Psalms with litany
- (fol. 66) Office for the Dead
- (fol. 93) prayers and suffrages
- (fol. 138) Hore longiores de sancta Cruce seu Passione', the Hours of the Passion
- (fol. 154) 'Cursus horarum Eterne Sapientiae'
- (fol. 166v) 'Hore Sancti Spiritus'.
The larger miniatures are at fols. 17v, 47v, 52v, 65v, 153v. The hymn 'Ave vivens hostia' (at fol. 101) is stated to be 'edita a fratre Iohanne Pysano archiepiscopo Canthuariensi.' In H. Shaw's Illuminated Ornaments (1833), no. xvi, there are facsimiles of fols. 47v, 65v.
- Creation: written in the 15th cent. in the Netherlands
Language of Materials
MS. Douce 30
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21604
Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.
On parchment, with five fine full-page and several smaller miniatures, borders, etc., binding: red leather with gold tooling (17th or 18th cent.)
4 1/2 × 3 1/2 in.