A Service book connected with the city of Braga in Portugal, Stated to be written between A.D. 1438 and 1447 in Portugal
A Service book connected with the city of Braga in Portugal, containing:
- Fol. 3. a calendar, containing mentions of bishops of 'Brachara': at May 4 is 'Translacio reliquiarum sancti Vincentii martiris in Brachara' in red: on Oct. 30 'Victoria Christianorum contra Sarracenos' in red
- Fol. 9. A hymnary and psalter
- Fol. 117v. 'Hore beate Virginis Marie', followed by the Penitential Psalms and Litany (fol. 128)
- Fol. 135. 'Liber Breuiarius ... more Bracharensis ecclesie incoandus': after the Proprium de Tempore comes the Proprium Sanctorum (fol. 345, 'Festiuitates Sanctorum'), and the Commune Sanctorum (fol. 567), wanting a leaf or more at the end
- At fols. 130v-133 are some calendarial notes and paschal cycle and hymns, apparently added in 1455
- At fol. 344v is 'Valascus' in red, probably the name of the scribe or rubricator, and some later notes in Portuguese occur
- Creation: Stated to be written between A.D. 1438 and 1447 in Portugal
Language of Materials
MS. Lat. Liturg. e. 12
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 35185
Fol. 2 is the personal (19th cent.) card of Bazilio Cabral Teixeira de Queiroz.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought in April 1910 at the Azambrija sale at Lisbon (lot 2949) by The Bodleian Library.
On parchment, with illuminated border, capitals, etc.
9 1/4 × 6 3/4 in.