Prayers, etc., Written in the third quarter of the 15th century in England
Prayers, etc., in Latin, written for the use of sir John Iwardby and his wife: on fol. 16 is 'Pray for Joh'n Jwardby and Sainche his wif, eldest doughter of Nicholas Carru [Carew] of Bedi[n]gton in Surre & oon of his heirris & for theire children frende & welwillers. & for the soule of Katerine late wif of the said Joh'n doughter of Edwarde Neuil lord Burgeyne [Abergavenny] & for the soulis of Joh'n & Edwarde sones of the said Joh'n & Katerine & for the soulis of the faders moders aliaunces & frende of all them aboue rehersid and for all Cristen': with four elaborate coats of arms opposite. Sir John Iwardby appears to have been of Farley in Hampshire.
The contents are:
- Fol. 3. A calendar, in Latin
- Fol. 17. Prayers, including the hymn 'Gaude flore virginali' (fol. 24v), suffrages 'de Rege Henrico sexto' (fol. 32v), 'de magistro Johanne Shorne' confessore (fol. 33), 'de sancta Sitha' (fol. 36), 'Septem versus beati Bernardi' (fol. 39), a suffrage 'de sancta Wilgeforte aliter vocata Vncombre' (fol. 41v)
- Fol. 42. The penitential and 15 gradual Psalms, with litany, followed (fol. 62) by the 'Psalmi de Passione.'
- Fol. 70v. The Office for the Dead, preceded by a Latin form of the prayer above, beg.'Pro animabus Johannis Iwardby & Senchie uxoris eius', omitting the son John's name. At fol. 99 follow 'Commendaciones animarum', and at end 'Pray for me | Joh'n Iwardbe.'
- Creation: Written in the third quarter of the 15th century in England
Language of Materials
MS. Gough Liturg. 19
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 18331
On parchment, some small miniatures occur, with coloured capitals, etc.
4 1/4 × 3 in.