Copies of papers relating to schemes and calculations, Written in about 1724-1725
Copies of papers relating to schemes and calculations addressed to, or connected with, James Brydges first duke of Chandos. Of the papers, which are varied in kind, the principal are:
- P. 11. About a scheme for the improvement of the river Parret and the benefit of Bridgwater, by a new cut to the sea, 1723/4
- Pp. 63, 311. About fountains and reservoirs at Canons in Middlesex, 17 20-2 4/5
- P. 77. 'Etablissement de la Banque royale de Paris, sous la direction de Mr Jean Law.'
- Pp. 103, 135, 143, 231, 262, 341. About the Royal African company and its agents, Playster Onely (1721) etc., about 1720-25
- About New England (Ste-Croix, 1716, p. 122: Lake Erie, 1718, p. 127: New York, 1724, p. 231)
- P. 167. 'Copy of a Journal up the River Gambia ...' in search of gold, about 1690 (?)
- P. 183. 'An estimate of the degrees of mortality of mankind ... by mr. E. Hailey ...'
- P. 215. 'Description de l'Isle de Corisco ... 1724.'
- About the East Indies (St. Kit's, p. 240: Barbados, 1723, pp. 243, 247)
- P. 277. Levels taken in the neighbourhood of Cavendish square, London, where the duke had property, 1724/5
- P. 333. About the York Buildings Company in London, 1725
The writer may have been William Denham (see p. 181): he was a person of mathematical tastes, in the service of the Duke.
- Creation: Written in about 1724-1725
Language of Materials
MS. Gough Somerset 7
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 18217
8 1/4 × 6 5/8 in.