Extracts from Latin feodaries and computi, Written in the 16th century, partly by T. Brampton
Extracts from Latin feodaries and computi relating to certain rents (of the duchy of Lancaster ?) in Sussex, especially about Pevensey, in Kent and in Surrey, preceded (fol. 3) by 'An instruccion for a Feodary howe to ordre hym in kepyng of a Feodary's court ... made by Walwyn auditor of the duchie of Lancaster ...' (22 March, 1528). This extends to fol. 23, but the whole volume has been used for a common-place book by Thomas Brampton, the owner of the manors of Chanticler at Attleborough in Norfolk and of Kenton in Suffolk, who has copied in moral and religious poems of his own composition, as well as documents relating to his manors, and some letters, proverbs, medical receipts and the like, in about 1580-90.
Among these are:
- A letter to the clergy of the archdeaconry of Norwich from their bp., Edmund Scamier, 12 Sept. 1585, asking for pecuniary help (fol. 1), with a reply in verse from Robert Lawson, rector of Little Fransham, 'in steade or by the waye of a benevolence' (fol. 2)
- A list of the weekly charges paid by each prisoner in the Tower of London on the accession of qu. Mary, 1553 (fol. 33)
- Papers about the arraignment of the duke of Norfolk, 1572 (fols. 34, 51v, 53v)
- A draft of a defence of T.S., vicar of Kenton, by his parishioners, 1578 (fol. 38v)
- At fol. 56v are some documents relating to the manor of Bridgham
- At fol. 59v the expenses of additions to the manor house there, 1569: these appear to be written by William Brampton, brother of Thomas
- Creation: Written in the 16th century, partly by T. Brampton
Language of Materials
MS. Gough Norfolk 43
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 18097
Owned by 'Tho: Martin': probably part of the Gough collection.
14 1/4 × 10 3/8 in.