Collections for a history of Norwich by F. Blomefield, Chiefly transcribed by him in about 1725-1745
Norfolk collections by the rev. Francis Blomefield for a history of Norwich. Containing besides transcripts of records and notes the following original papers among others:
- Letters to the earl of Yarmouth about a new charter for Norwich, partly from Thomas Corie, 1678-82 (fol. 29c, etc.)
- A Latin letter from W. Bernham to William Paston about a dispute with the city of Norwich (about A.D. 1460-70 ?: fol. 36)
- An English letter from 'Clyfton' (perhaps 'T.' or 'J. Clyfton', i.e. sir Thomas or sir John Clifton, of Buckenham ['Benham' ?] castle, in about the middle of the 15th century) to the city about an accord between it and the bp. of Norwich (fol. 37)
- 'The articles against Charles Herys master of the Grammar school in Norwich ...' (1497: fol. 39)
- An English letter from the duke of Norfolk to the city about a disturbance at Dunston (1453, with autograph signature: fol. 42)
- Papers about the churches, hospitals and schools of the city, etc. (such as a terrier of the property of the parish church of St. Giles', 1709, fol. 71: a list of the admissions to Norwich school, 1679-1726, fol. 61), etc.
- At fol. 93 is a drawing of Eresby house near Spilsby
- Creation: Chiefly transcribed by him in about 1725-1745
Language of Materials
MS. Gough Norfolk 33
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 18069
14 1/2 × 93/4 in.