A Pontifical of the cathedral at Arezzo, Written perhaps at the close of the 11th century at Arezzo
A Pontifical of the cathedral at Arezzo, not quite complete: together with a Collectarius, including more of the framework of a breviary than is usual. The chief contents are:
- 'Ordo consecrationis ęcclesiarum' (fol. 1)
- 'Reconciliatio violatę ęcclesię' (fol. 15)
- Parts of the Collectary (fols. 16, 35)
- Benedictions, etc. (fols. 21, 26v)
- 'De officiis vii graduum' ecclesiasticorum (fol. 24v)
- 'Ordo qualiter in Romana æcclesia clerici ordinantur' (fol. 25) including 'Ordinatio diaconorum' (fol. 28) and '... presbiterorum' (fol. 30), 'Ymago episcoporum secundum quosdam' (fol. 33v: imperfect: an account of a bishop's duties)
There are gaps after fols. 34, 58, 60, 66, and fols. 45, 61, 62 (and perhaps others) are out of place: fol. 23 is mutilated. The informal creed used in the Ordination of Priests is called 'credulitas Christiana.' The two parts of the book are to some extent interwoven. There are some musical notes. The connexion with Arezzo is proved by the occurrence of stt. Laurentinus, Pergentinus, Flora, and Lucilla on fol. 1.
- Creation: Written perhaps at the close of the 11th century at Arezzo
Language of Materials
MS. Canon. Liturg. 359
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 19444
10 7/8 × 7 1/4 in.