Hours of the Virgin, Written in the 14th century in France (?)
Hours of the Virgin, preceded by a Calendar (fol. 2: first leaf lost), and followed by:
- The Penitential Psalms with Litany (fol. 119)
- Hours of the Cross (fol. 151)
- Votive Masses (fol. 157)
- 'Stabat mater', etc. (fol. 242v)
- Some Rubrics are in Provençal (?)
Provençal rubrics on:
- Fol. 48v. (heading of 3 psalms for Tuesdays and Fridays)
- Fol. 59. (heading of 3 psalms for Wednesdays and Saturdays)
- Fols. 156v, 168v, 177v, 186. (heading of 3 psalms of Paschal mass, Pentecost mass, Our Lady's mass, mass of Nativity)
- Fol. 209. (virtues of St. Augustine's prayer 'O dulcissime')
- Fol. 218. (and of ps. 'Confitemini domino' with Gloria after each v.)
- Fol. 227v. (virtues of St. Augustine's prayer)
- Fol. 231. (heading of another prayer of his)
Also later Provençal additions to Calendar.
- Creation: Written in the 14th century in France (?)
Language of Materials
MS. Canon. Liturg. 251
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 19355
On parchment, with some miniatures, illuminated borders, etc.
4 × 3 in.