Bridgettine services for an Italian house, Written late in the 15th century in Italy
Bridgettine services for an Italian house, consisting of:
- A Psalter with Canticles, Creeds, etc. (fol. 13)
- Preceded by 'Ordo cantus & lecture Sororum ordinis Sancti Salvatoris in horis diurnis & nocturnis impermutabiliter observandus ... ex precepto ... sancte Brigide ... ' (fol. 1)
- Followed by a Litany (fol. 203v), and a series of Lections, Antiphons, etc. (fol. 208), for the hour-services. Leaves are lost after fols. 12, 207
- An Italian Rubric occurs on fol. 12v, and St. Reparata of Corsica is in the Calendar
The mother convent of Vatzstenen (Wastein) is mentioned on fol. 12. The binding is red leather with gold ornament, and the legends 'FVLCITE ME FLORIBVS STIPATE ME MALIS, QVIA. AMORE LANGVEO.' and 'SICVT LILIVM INTER SPINAS. SIC AMICA MEA. INTER FILIAS.', each followed by 'S.MF.ND.' (16th cent.?): with clasps.
- Creation: Written late in the 15th century in Italy
Language of Materials
MS. Canon. Liturg. 49
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 19249
'Questo libro e del Abbate Colauacci' (the last two words erased: 16th cent.).
On parchment, imperfect binding, see below
6 3/4 × 4 3/4 in.