Music and pictures by various hands, including F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy's, 1826-1872
MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn c. 23
- (fols. 1-8) 'Sechs Kinder-Stücke für das Pianoforte componirt von Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy' [Op. 72]. Professional copy, headed and with corrections in his own hand. Oblong quarto. 10 Staves to a page.
- (fols. 9-10) 'Fugue. Presented to his friend F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy by T[homas] Attwood'. For organ, in E flat. Autograph. Oblong quarto, double leaf (the last side blank). Watermark 1826. 14 staves to a page.
- (fol. 11) Silhouette representing the Annunciation, 'von Luise [Hensel] zum Dank für das schöne Catholische Ave' [Op. 23 no. 2, 1830]. Cut in black paper, on a mount 106 × 75 mm.
- (fols. 12-13) 'Sehnsucht von Goethe', set for voice and piano by Moritz Hauptmann. Autograph. Formerly mounted [in an album?]. double leaf (the last side blank). 12 staves to a page. 136 × 105 mm.
- (fols. 14-15) 'Fermate zu Beethoven's Concerto aus G. Nach der Original handschrift getreu copirt. Für Dr. F. Mendelssohn [Bartholdy]', by Joseph Fischhoff. See his letter to F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, 8 Nov 1840, Green Book XII 126. Printed in Beethoven, Werke, VII. 7, 1967, no. 7. Oblong quarto, double leaf (the last side blank). Watermark 1839. 10 staves to a page.
- (fols. 16-21) 'Weihnachtsgesang für vier Stimmen von A[lbert] Baur'. Score and parts. Autograph. Oblong, 116 × 146 mm. 1 double leaf (the last side blank), and four single leaves. Staves ruled by the copyist.
- (fols. 22-23) 'Der ewige Stern' by G[eorg] Ch[ristian] Dieffenbach, beg. 'Es Strahlt durchs Erdendunkel'. 4-part setting by Konrad Rumbler. Oblong, 144 × 215 mm. Double leaf (three sides blank) 6 staves to a page, within a patterned border all printed in blue and gold.
- (fols. 24-27) 'Sopran-Arie "Der du die Menschen lässest sterben" aus dem Oratorio Paulus', 'Für die richtige Abschrift Bonn 28 Oct 1865. N. Simrock'. Piano score. Oblong, 128 × 185 mm. Two double leaves (the second and last sides blank). 10 staves to a page.
- (fols. 28-29) 'Unter den dunklen Linden. Gedicht von [Robert] Reinick. Musik von Julius Stern. No. 1 op. 8. Lieder heft'. 226 × 186 mm. Double leaf. 12 staves to a page, within an embossed border.
- (fols. 30-35) 'Schlummerliedchen' for Felix Wach, 'zu seinen ersten Weihnachten', 1871, and 'Toast' on the birth of Hugo Wach, 30 May 1872, by Josephine Lang (Frau Professor Koestlin in Tübingen). Oblong 244 × 335 mm. and 166 × 260 mm.
- (fol. 36) 2 pen and ink sketches by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, apparently of Switzerland: a) a village surrounded by mountains, with the remark at the side "Musik-Schule? Ja!"; b) an Alpine road.
- (fol. 37) Pencil sketch, probably by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, of house and garden [Leipzig?]. Formerly loose in MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn e. 7.
- (fol. 38) Pencil sketch by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy.
- (fols. 39-41) 3 unfinished water colour sketches, probably by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, the first formerly loose in MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn d. 9.
- (fols. 42-55) Miscellaneous drawings by various members of the family, including pencil drawings of flowers by Cécile before her marriage; and of the grave of her sister Augustine Jeanrenaud, by her other sister Julie Jeanrenaud and by Cécile Appia.
MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn c. 23