General and project notebooks, 1935-1989
- Theatre notebook, 1935-1940, containing notes on theatre, history, literature, philosophy and America, and brief diary entries for June 1936 to April 1937.
- 'Record' notebook, 1936, containing notes on religion, history and literature, and character notes and plot drafts for a story, probably called Tale of a Handbag.
- A-Z notebook, c. 1943, containing notes on various subjects, including literature, philosophy and history.
- 'Made in USA' notebook, undated, containing notes for writing projects, including The Case of the Bank Manager, and notes on jealousy.
- 'Bloc steno' notebook, undated, containing notes on astrology, history, tarot and mythology.
- 'Bloc steno' notebook, undated, with notes for The Man in the Moon.
- 'Sterling' notebook, undated, containing drafts for The Queen of Spades.
- Red notebook, undated, containing The Murderers: a play in one act by Edgar W. Baird Esq. from a short story by Michael Sayers, handwritten by someone other than Sayers.
- Red 'Tarot etymology' notebook, c. 1966, containing notes for writing projects, including a project probably called The Black Stone, personal notes, and notes on tarot.
- Yellow 'Hawaii research' notebook, 1967, containing notes from a research trip to Hawaii.
- 'Composition' notebook, 1983, containing notes for a project on Fred Astaire.
- 'Universal Office Supplies' notebook, 1988-1989, containing rough notes, memoranda, and notes for writing projects The Deer's Head and September Morn.
1 box (10 volumes)
Language of Materials