Skip to main content

Mathematical Institute, St. Giles, Oxford, 1959-1966, n.d.

 File
MS. Coulson 163

  • How to
    request
One box of correspondence and papers relative to the planning, building and equipping of the new Mathematical Institute.

Coulson's scrupulous attention to the myriad details of the project, from the first meetings to discuss tentative requirements for the new building to his weekly notes regarding minor items which were faulty or lacking after the building was completed and occupied, is much in evidence.

Item H.2.1: Coulson's notes, drafts, and memoranda with floor plan sketches.

Items H.2.2-H.2.4: Three folders of correspondence with colleagues in the Maths Department, with Oxford University Registry and Surveyor's Office, with colleagues in other universities regarding their suggestions, with BBC regarding possibility of closed-circuit television, with suppliers of equipment, with librarians of other departments and universities regarding the design of the new library. Invitation to Lord Blackett to open the new building.
  1. H.2.2: 1959-1962
  2. H.2.3: 1963-1964
  3. H.2.4: 1965-1966
Item H.2.5: Printed memoranda for circulation within the Department regarding meetings of Planning Subcommittee, suggestions to be incorporated into the design; press-cuttings.

Item H.2.6: Bound notebook containing lists of furnishings and requirements for each room.

Item H.2.7: Architects' drawings.

Dates

  • 1959-1966, n.d.

Extent

7 items

Language of Materials

  • English

Shelfmark

MS. Coulson 163

Former reference:

CSAC 60/4/78/H.1/1-7

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom