Writings by Robert Simpson on general musical topics, 1959-1989, n.d.
Scripts for radio programmes and concert intervals, articles for magazines, typescripts of talks and sleeve notes of recordings. Including:
- 'Better sound', radio programme, 1968
- 'Classical music', review for Cambridge quarterly of Charles Rosen's Classical style: Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, 1971
- The Simpson-Budden talks for 'The composer speaks', 1980
- 'Composing', radio programme, 1959
- 'Ianus Geminus: music in Scandinavia', article for Twentieth century music (London: John Calder, 1960)
- Collection of scripts for the radio programmes 'Innocent ear' produced by Robert Simpson, 1977-1979
- 'More reflections', article for Tempo (no. 144, 1983)
- 'Now and then', n.d.
- 'On "completing" unfinished masterpieces, radio programme, 1989
- 'On composing chamber music', article for souvenir programme of the first chamber music competition for schools, 1981 (typescript and published versions)
- 'Play it again', radio programme broadcast on 17 Nov 1979
- Collection of scripts for the radio programme 'The sincerest form of flattery', 1971-1972
- 'The symphony', one of the radio programmes in the series 'Musicians talking', 1978 and 1985
- Collections of scripts on 'Western music' for the Arabic service, 1966
- 1959-1989, n.d.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MS. Simpson 1
Material related more specifically to individual composers can be found among papers devoted to these composers.