Manuscript and typescript poetry (draft and fair copies), 1950s-1970s
From large brown envelope, addressed to Jill Balcon. Comprises:
- Revised autograph manuscript of Baucis and Philemon, 5 foolscap pages [published Jun 1957]
- Revised draft autograph manuscripts of An Upland Field, 1 foolscap page [published 1962] and An Operation, 1 foolscap page, with pencilled drafts of poem on reverse, 8 Mar 1964 [published 1965], both with note by Jill Balcon
- Revised draft autograph manuscript of poem beginning 'All my dayes are flying towards the past', with note by Jill Balcon 'New words for the Irish Air The Lark in the Clear Air (unpublished)', n.d.
- Draft autograph manuscripts of poems, most published in The Whispering Roots , including Harebells over Mannin Bay, At East Coker (with notes for the 'Appeal on the air' for St Michael's church, Stinsford and earlier draft), Lament for Michael Collins, The Whispering Roots, Some Beautiful Morning, All Souls' Night, A Marriage Song, Epitaph [for] a Drug-Addict, Merry-go-round and Goldsmith outside Trinity. With various prose notes including eulogy for George Rostrevor Hamilton (died 1967), and later, unknown, pencil annotations. 44 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript of Party of One, regarding C. Day-Lewis' alter ego, Nicholas Blake, n.d. 12 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript (incomplete) of A Dawning Decade, possibly for lecture or article, n.d. 4 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript On Being Ill (prose), n.d. 12 foolscap pages.
- Fair transcript of poem For Ralph Vaughan Williams O.M. on his 85th birthday, annotated by Jill Balcon 'spoken by JB in The Royal Festival Hall', 1957.
- Printed article, 'A Half-open Door', by C. Day-Lewis, published in The Listener, 23 Feb 1961, p.358-359.
- Draft autograph manuscript of the Compton Lecture, given at the University of Hull . 20 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript of C. Day-Lewis' Introduction to The Poems of Robert Browning [published 1971]. 20 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph television script for A Lasting Joy [broadcast on the BBC in 1972]. 36 pages.
- Autograph manuscript list of records chosen by C. Day-Lewis for his apperance on Desert Island Discs [broadcast 18 Jul 1960].
- Draft autograph manuscript of versions of Psalms, Te Deum and Benedictus [for Church of England Liturgical Commission's Modern Liturgical Texts, published 1968], with notes on Miss [Elizabeth] Jenning's volume of poems [possibly refering to Jenning's Collected Poems of 1967]. 14 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript poem beginning 'The house is the first problem' [later Recurring Dream, published posthumously, 1979], with notes on George Crabbe, n.d. 4 foolscap pages.
- Fair typescript copy of Hellene: Philhellene, annotated by Jill Balcon 'In Memory of George Seferis and Maurice Bowra' [published in Cornhill winter 1971-1972]. 2 pages.
- Draft autograph manuscripts and typescript of Remembering Carrownisky [published posthumously]. 3 pages.
- Chatto & Windus Ltd folder containing various items: articles from The Listener, 'Lions of Delos' published 4 Oct 1962, p.507-508 and 'The Gracious Guard' published 1 Jun 1961, p.970-971 [removed for conservation purposes]; three postcards written by C. Day-Lewis from 6 Crooms Hill [c.1971]; review of A Lasting Joy: an Anthology in The Sunday Telegraph, 28 Dec 1975 [removed for conservation purposes]; cutting of Recurring Dream and Whit Monday 1972 by Roy Fuller, published in The Listener, 1 Jun 1972 [removed for conservation purposes]; envelope marked 'Goldsmithiana' containing two parts receipt sent to Mrs Jane Lawder [1778-1781]; newspaper cutting of A Song of Welcome  [original removed and copy made for preservation purposes]; and draft autograph manuscript notes listing poems ('Lyrical Poems and Dramatic Lyrics'), various prose and draft verse (beginning 'Let this be a day of renewal...'), 10 foolscap pages with 2 inserted sheets, one with notes on/review of D.J. Enright's The Terrible Shears and [?] A. McDougall's Winter Journey.
- Typescript questionnaire 'Dante and the poets of today' [3 sheets] with manuscript sheet of answers to questions 1-7, n.d.
- Draft autograph manuscript of poem for the Investiture of [Charles] Prince of Wales [4 foolscap pages], with fair printed copy .
- Fair typescript copies of R.A.F. - The Ancestors [published in Hilary Aidan St. George Saunders, Per Ardua: the rise of British air power 1911-1939, 1944], 5 copies plus blank sheet.
- Draft autograph manuscript, mainly prose/criticism, including draft of 'On being ill' and notes relating to the 'Inspiration of the Poet', n.d., 50 foolscap pages (soft bound).
- Draft autograph manuscript libretto beginning 'Two betrayals...' and [introduction] to omnibus Nicholas Blake collection, n.d. 10 foolscap pages.
- Fair typescript poem Feed my little ones [written to mark Oxfam's silver jubilee, 1968].
- Draft autograph manuscript poem Old Vic 1818-1968, with 'original' typescript, fair typescript and copy, 1968.
- Draft autograph manuscript preface to the second edition of C. Day-Lewis' Selected Poems, 1968 [published Penguin, 1969] and poems including 'In the Library', 'A Privileged Moment', 'CAT' and 'Feed My Little Ones' [c.1967-1969]. 14 foolscap pages.
- Draft typescript poem Torrey Canyon [3 sheets], with draft autograph manuscript, annotated in later hand 'Commissioned by BBC (J.D.L.)', [c.1967], 2 foolscap pages.
- Draft autograph manuscript of poem The Christmas Way, n.d. 2 sheets.
- Photostat copies of typescript poem At Lemmons annotated with Cecil's dedication 'For Jane, Kingsley, Colin, Sargy' . 2 full, 2 part copies.
- Draft typescript and autograph manuscript copies of St Paul's, annotated 'Published in Daily Telegraph JDL' . 3 sheets.
- Draft typescript poem, with two duplicates and two draft autograph manuscripts of Poets, uncage the Word [published posthumously 1979]. 5 sheets.
- Draft autograph manuscript of 'Introduction' to George Crabbe, with typescript extract from Chapman's Letters (1932), n.d. 8 foolscap pages.
- Draft/corrected typescript copies of poems (unless stated): Battle of Britain (extract used in primiere of film about the Battle of Britain ), original and further copy; Cat, original and copy; Children Leaving Home with two photographs of draft autograph manuscript [published posthumously] [original envelope loose in box]; Final Instructions 'to Jilly' [published 1957]; fair autograph manuscript of The Gate '(for Trekkie)' [published 1962]; two photocopy typescript copies of The Goddess; Going my way? plus duplicate; fair typescript copy of Hymn for Shakespeare's Birthday ; fair typescript copy of A Legend of West Lochtarbert; fair typescript copy of Lot 96, enscribed 'For Jill' from Cecil  and annotated by Jill Balcon; limited print of The Newborn, number 1, enscribed 'for my beloved Jill Cecil 1.6.57'; Recurring Dream [published posthumously]; Snowfall on a college garden, signed, with duplicate ; Teesside ; Then and Now ; 'Tuscany, long endeared to English hearts...' (read by Laurence Olivier at the Haymarket Theatre in aid of the Florentine Flood Appeal), with duplicate; fair copy typescript of Keep faith with nature [for National Conservation Year, 1970]; and photocopies of autograph manuscript and printed version of Sanctus .
1 box (8 folders)