Showing Collections: 21 - 38 of 38
Journals of tours of administrative service in Nigeria and Cameroon (1932-1948). Also, reports and papers relating to service in Nigeria (1933-1935), Sierra Leone (1950-1956), and Southern Cameroon (1960-1961).
Extents: 2 boxes
Letters from Mathews to his parents describing his life and work as Political Officer and Anthropological Officer in Nigeria (1910-1929). Also, official correspondence, reports, anthropological notes etc. by Mathews and others (1912-1961).
Extents: 3 boxes
Correspondence, reports, photographs, cinefilms, etc., relating to administrative service in Nigeria, and to work as Income Tax Adviser to the Government in Gambia.
Extents: 11 boxes
First file contains letters from O'Regan to his mother and brother, rough diaries and papers relating to O'Regan's own career. Second file includes correspondence with Sir Andrew Caldecott and Ian Wallace and relates to the Colonial Service in general, especially in territories on the verge of self-government - Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), Jamaica and Nigeria.
Extents: 2 files (2 boxes)
Papers as Resident in Calabar Province, Nigeria, including reports on the history of Native Administration, on Owerri Province, native court reports and intelligence reports on the Cameroons campaign (1914-1915).
Extents: 1 box
The collection covers all periods of Lethem's career except the time he spent in the Seychelles. The bulk of the material relates to his time spent in Nigeria. Included is correspondence; reports, and papers connected with them; some diaries; a number of papers in Arabic; printed books, pamphlets and newspapers; and minutes and opinions on subjects of particular interest to the Governments of Nigeria or British Guiana.
Extents: 22 boxes
File on constitutional reform in Zanzibar (1952-1954), while British Resident, and 10 files as Governor of Western Region, Nigeria (1954-1960), including regular despatches to the Colonial Office and personal correspondence about pensions etc.
Extents: 3 boxes (10 files and loose correspondence)
The collection mainly covers the years Grier was in Nigeria, and mostly consists of family letters from Grier to his mother and to his sister "Dorothy" (Mary Lynda Dorothea Grier) who was Principal of Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, from 1921-1945. There is also a file of papers relating to Nigera and an album of photographs (mostly dated 1911).
Extents: 4 boxes
Dates: 1884-1957 (bulk 1905-1925)
Papers on education, native customs, folklore, history and secret societies in Nigeria and Sierra Leone, including sketches, photographs, articles and notes, 1926-1950. Also, transcripts of diaries of George Ross, Superintendent of Maroons in Sierra Leone, 1800-1801, and extracts from the diary of John Clarkson, [Royal Navy], 1791-1792.
Extents: 1 box
Dates: 1791-1801, 1926-1950
Correspondence, courses, reports, handing-over notes, building specifications, plans, etc., as senior inspector of education (technical), 1953-1963.
Extents: 2 boxes
Account book, explanatory notes on the accounts, and receipts, as Senior Veterinary Officer in Northern Nigeria.
Extents: 1 box
Five captioned photograph albums (1936-1954) spanning the whole of White's career from a Cadet at Cambridge University to his work as a District Officer and, later, Head of Commerce and Industries in Northern Region, Nigeria, and including a trip to the Sudan. Also included are associated papers, pamphlets, articles, literary correspondence and presscuttings, mostly to do with agriculture and commerce. The five photograph albums provide a pictorial counterpart to …
Extents: 4 boxes
Photograph of the opening session of the House of Chiefs under the new constitution of Nigeria, 10 February 1947, with A.G. Eyre as Clerk of the House, far left, front row.
Extents: 1 item
Photographs of Nigeria and Gambia, some captioned, relating to colonial administrative service in West Africa (mostly from the 1930s).
Extents: 489 items
"Life as a District Officer's wife in Northern Nigeria, 1951-1959", by Rosemary Hollis. Typescript.
Extents: 1 volume
Report on Nigerian proposals for HM Overseas Civil Service, 1953; memorandum on the creation of a Central Pensions Fund based in the U.K., 1955. Typescript.
Extents: 36 ff.
Dates: 1953, 1955
Supplementary Intelligence Report on the Boki of Ikom Division, Ogoja Province, with special reference to the Abo clan, by E. F. G. Haig, District Officer, December 1930, including 10 black and white photographs. Typescript.
Extents: 56 ff.
Transcribed letters home, written as an Administrative Officer in Northern Nigeria.
Extents: 1 box
- Indexed subjects: Nigeria -- Officials and employees X
- Indexed subjects
- Nigeria -- Officials and employees 36
- Colonial administrators -- Nigeria 13
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Nigeria 6
- Cameroon -- Officials and employees 3
- Colonial administrators 3
- Education -- Nigeria 3
- Guyana -- Officials and employees 3
- 19th century 2
- Autobiographies 2
- Gambia -- Officials and employees 2
- Nigeria -- Politics and government 2
- Sierra Leone -- Officials and employees 2
- 18th century 1
- Agricultural education -- Nigeria 1
- Agricultural industries -- Nigeria 1
- Anthropologists -- Nigeria 1
- Barbados -- Officials and employees 1
- Boki (African people) 1
- Calabar (Nigeria) -- Officials and employees 1
- Ceylon -- Officials and employees 1
- Colonial administrator -- Nigeria 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa, West 1
- Colonial administrators -- Cameroon 1
- Colonial administrators -- Interviews 1
- Colonial administrators -- Nigeria -- Autobiographies 1
- Colonial administrators -- Nigeria -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators -- Nigeria -- Photographs 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Nigeria, Northern 1
- Engineers -- Nigeria 1
- Farewells 1
- Fiji -- Officials and employees 1
- Ghana -- Officials and employees 1
- Governors 1
- Governors -- Interviews 1
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Nigeria -- Anecdotes 1
- Income tax -- Gambia 1
- Jamaica -- Officials and employees 1
- Leeward Islands (West Indies) -- Officials and employees 1
- Local government -- Nigeria 1
- Maiduguri (Nigeria) 1
- Malaya -- Officials and employees 1
- Medical personnel -- Nigeria 1
- Medical personnel -- Nigeria -- Sokoto -- Correspondence 1
- Nigeria -- Description and travel 1
- Nigeria -- Officials and employees -- Pictorial works 1
- Nigeria -- Social life and customs 1
- Nigeria -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works 1
- Palestine -- Officials and employees 1
- Photographs 1
- Plebiscite -- Cameroon 1
- Postal service -- Nigeria -- Employees 1
- Postmasters -- Barbados 1
- Postmasters general -- Guyana 1
- Reminiscences 1
- Schistosomiasis -- Nigeria -- Bornu 1
- Sierra Leone -- Description and travel 1
- Sierra Leone -- Social life and customs 1
- Trinidad and Tobago -- Officials and employees 1
- Veterinarians -- Nigeria 1
- West Indies -- Officials and employees 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- Cameroon 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- German East Africa 1 ∧ less
- Indexed names
- Great Britain | Colonial Administrative Service 23
- Atkinson | Michael C | b 1917 | Colonial Administrator 2
- Bridges | Albert Francis B | fl 1921-1949 | Colonial Administrator 2
- Cox | Harry Bernard | 1906-1989 | Colonial Administrator 2
- Robertson | Algar Ronald | 1902-1975 | Colonial Administrator 2
- Best | Oswald Herbert | fl 1920-1930 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Boorman | A G | b 1905 | Engineer Colonial Service 1
- Brayne-Baker | John | 1905-1997 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Brice-Smith | Hugh Middleton | b 1884 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Brooks | Robert Bernard | fl 1914-1932 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Bryant | Herbert Collingwood A | b 1908 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Budden | Frank Howard | b 1919 | Colonial Medical Officer 1
- Caldecott | Andrew | 1884-1951 | Sir | Knight Governor General of Ceylon 1
- Childs | Hubert | 1905-2983 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Eyre | Antony G | b 1921 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Great Britain | High Commission for Western Pacific Islands 1
- Grier | Selwyn | 1878-1946 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Haig | E F G | fl 1930 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Haworth | James | b 1920 | Colonial Medical Officer 1
- Herbert | W J | fl 1953-1954 | Senior Veterinary Officer in Northern Nigeria 1
- Herington | George Norman | b 1899 | Agricultural Education Officer Colonial Service 1
- Hollis | Rosemary | fl 1951-1959 | wife of Colonial Administrator 1
- Hopkins | Terence Francis Gethin | b 1902 | Colonial Administrator 1
- John Clarkson | John | fl 1791-1792 | sailor 1
- John Holt & Company (Nigeria) Ltd. 1
- Jourdain | A T | fl 1954-1958 | Special Member of the House of Assembly, Northern Nigeria 1
- Lethem | Gordon James | 1886-1962 | Sir | Knight and Colonial Governor 1
- Macpherson | John Stuart | 1898-1971 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Mathews | Hubert Frank | 1885-1964 | Political and Anthropological Officer in Nigeria 1
- Milburn | Stanley | b 1903 | Education Officer Colonial Service 1
- Miller-Stirling | J Harry G | fl 1910-1917 | Administrative Officer, Colonial Service 1
- Mitchell | Thomas Keith | fl 1953-1963 | senior inspector of technical education in Nigeria 1
- Mort | Eric Laidley | fl 1914-1937 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Nigeria | Department of Public Works 1
- Nigeria | House of Chiefs 1
- Nigeria, Northern | House of Assembly 1
- Nwapa | A C | fl 1952 | Nigerian Minister of Commerce and Industries 1
- O'Regan | John William Hamilton | b 1913 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Rankine | John Dalzell | 1907-1987 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Ross | George | fl 1800-1801 | Superintendent of Maroons in Sierra Leone 1
- Schofield | Ivor Frederick Wentworth | 1904-1979 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Sharp | George Frederick | b 1888 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Shillingford | Anthony Arthur | b 1903 | Education Officer Nigeria 1
- Wallace | Walter Ian James | b 1905 | Indian Civil Servant 1
- White | Stanhope | b 1913 | Colonial Administrator 1 ∧ less