Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Transcript of an interview (1970) with Sir Frederick Johnson Pedler relating to his service in the Colonial Office and in Africa, 1930-1968. Typescript.
Extents: 60 ff.
Articles and lectures on schools in Nigeria, and on Nigeria in general, as a former Education Officer. Typescript.
Extents: 17 Leaves
Dates: [ca. 1973]
Correspondence, reports, memoranda, etc., relating to Colonial Administrative Service in Nigeria and the Cameroons (1935-1945); and in the Western Pacific High Commission (1946-1951), including notes on the history, customs, commerce and development of the Western Pacific High Commission territories.
Extents: 1 box
Papers of J. Cledwyn Hughes relating to the Cameroons.
Shelfmark: MS. 12711
Extents: 1 box
Papers of R.C. Overton and Susan Overton relating to their time in the Cameroons.
Extents: 0.3 Linear metre (2 physical shelfmarks)
Correspondence, diaries and papers of Sir Edward Charles Frederick Garraway (1865-1932) a surgeon and colonial official in Southern Africa, 1888-1932.
Extents: 3.0 Linear metres (7 boxes, 12 volumes)
Diaries, reports, memoranda, correspondence, etc., relating to service in Tanganyika (1934-1937); as Secretary to the Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan (1937-1938); as secretary to Lord Hailey in British Tropical Africa (1939) and in the Congo (1940-1942); also personal papers and letters relating to work for the United Africa Company in the Gold Coast (1947-1968).
Extents: 23 boxes, 2 volumes
"Barotseland: Notes by the Resident on the Natives and the Physical Aspects of the Country", 1897. Photocopied typescript.
Extents: 3 ff.
Papers as Governor of Uganda and Governor of Kenya. Also biographical material and correspondence. The years with the British South Africa Company are mainly represented by unofficial correspondence and Coryndon's own articles for magazines. No papers relating to his service under Rhodes survive in this collection. A small part of the collection is formed by correspondence and papers (1926-1931) of Sir Edward Grigg (Coryndon's successor in Kenya), along with papers (1913-1930) of…
Extents: 18 boxes
Papers of the novelist Ellen Ross (née Brook, b.1840) and her son, William McGregor Ross (1876-1940).
Shelfmark: MS. 12303
Extents: 1 box
Photographs of Nigeria and Gambia, some captioned, relating to colonial administrative service in West Africa (mostly from the 1930s).
Extents: 489 items
Preliminary sketch for a Governor's House in Nigeria, n.d.; six maps of areas of Uganda, Tanganyika and Kenya, compiled from Lugard's route sketches of 1890-1893, some with annotations in his hand.
Extents: 1 item
- Indexed subjects
- 20th century 10
- Colonial administrators -- Africa 7
- 19th century 4
- Colonial administrators -- Africa, West 3
- Africa -- Officials and employees 2
- Cameroon -- History 2
- Nigeria -- Officials and employees 2
- Africa 1
- Africa -- Description and travel 1
- Africa | Discovery and exploration 1
- Africa, Southern -- History 1
- Barotseland (Zambia) 1
- Bechuanaland | British Protectorate | x Botswana 1
- British South Africa Company 1
- Cameroon -- Officials and employees 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa -- Interviews 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa, South 1
- Diaries 1
- Education -- Nigeria 1
- England -- Description and travel -- 1801-1900 1
- Gambia -- Officials and employees 1
- Governors -- Africa 1
- Jameson's Raid, 1895-1896 -- Personal narratives 1
- Kenya -- Officials and employees 1
- Maps -- Kenya -- 19th century 1
- Maps -- Tanganyika -- 19th century 1
- Maps -- Uganda -- 19th century 1
- Medical personnel -- Africa 1
- Nigeria -- Description and travel 1
- Tourism -- Kenya 1
- Uganda -- Officials and employees 1 ∧ less
- Indexed names
- Great Britain | Colonial Administrative Service 6
- Coryndon | Sir | Robert Thorne | 1870-1925 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 2
- Bryant | Herbert Collingwood A | b 1908 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Church Missionary Society 1
- Coryndon | Phyllis Mary | fl 1903-1947 | Lady | nee Worthington, wife of Sir Robert Thorne Coryndon 1
- Dutton | Eric Aldhelm Torlogh | 1895-1973 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Garraway | Sir | Edward Charles Frederick | 1865-1932 | Knight | colonial administrator 1
- Great Britain | Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan 1
- Great Britain | High Commission for Western Pacific Islands 1
- Grigg | Edward William Macleay | 1879-1955 | 1st Baron Altrincham | politician 1
- Hibbert | Francis Dennis | 1906-1975 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Hopkins | Terence Francis Gethin | b 1902 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Hughes | John Cledwyn | 1926-2016 | colonial officer 1
- Overton | Richard Charles | 1923-2007 | colonial officer 1
- Overton | Susan | b 1933 | nee Spurr | overseas civil servant 1
- Pedler | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Pedler | Sir | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 1
- Richards | Charles Granston | b 1908 | Missionary and Publisher 1
- Ross | Ellen | nee Brook | b 1840 | novelist 1
- Ross | William McGregor | 1876-1940 | administrator 1
- United Africa Company 1 ∧ less