Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Memoirs of Otto Markus as pioneer, trader, and Director and Chairman of the East African Trading Company. Typescript.
Extents: 131 ff.
Memoirs of life as pioneer and trader in British East Africa. Microfilm.
Extents: 1 item
Dates: [ca. 1900-1923]
Memoirs of Sir George Farrar assembled into seven typewritten chapters by his daughter, Viscountess Muriel Frances Lowther. The memoirs describe the foundation of Farrar's family firm of mining engineers, his part in the Johannesburg Reform Movement and imprisonment after the Jameson Raid, with associated letters on current South African politics, etc.
Shelfmark: MSS. Afr. s. 1737
Extents: 1 box
Drafts and research notes for unpublished memoirs of Sir Charles Fernand Rey (1877-1968), civil servant.
Extents: 0.45 Linear metres (3 physical shelfmarks)
- Indexed subjects
- 19th century 1
- Abyssinia | x Ethiopia 1
- Africa 1
- Bechuanaland | British Protectorate | x Botswana 1
- Civil service -- Great Britain 1
- Great Britian -- Colonies -- Administration 1
- Jameson's Raid, 1895-1896 1
- Johannesburg (South Africa) -- Politics and government 1
- Merchants -- Africa 2
- Mining engineers -- South Africa 1
- South Africa 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- Indexed names
- East African Trading Company 2
- Farrar | Sir | George Herbert | 1859-1915 | Baronet | businessman and politician 1
- Lowther | Muriel Frances | fl 1893-1952 | daughter of Sir George Herbert Farrar 1
- Markus | Otto | fl 1900-1949 | pioneer and trader in Africa 2
- Old East African Trading Company 2
- Rey | Sir | Charles Fernand | 1877-1968 | Knight | Soldier and Civil Servant 1
- Rey | family 1