Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
Letters written from Cape Colony. Correspondents include Sir Henry Barkly, Robert Brooke, Sir William Eyre, George Macartney, Sir Rawson William Rawson and Sir Richard Southey. Also included are 81 letters from Robert White to his uncle, Robert Godlonton, both partners in the firm of Godlonton, White & Co., printers, publishers and stationers of Graham's Town.
Extents: 2 Volumes
The correspondence consists of: Official letter-book of Macartney whilst Governor of the Cape of Good Hope, comprising his entire correspondence with people connected with the government at the Cape, 8 May 1797 to 20 November 1798 (reference: MSS.Afr.t.2) Original entry book of letters addressed to various Statesmen, Admirals, Generals, Governors, on affairs of state, 9 February 1797 to 2…
Extents: 4 Volumes
Dates: 1797-1798, 1801
Correspondence of Sir G. J. Bower, with a Narrative about the Jameson Raid and the South African War
Miscellaneous correspondence, 1897-1898, 1926-1932 (15 items), and Bower's narrative written in 1900 of events leading to the Jameson raid and the South African war (1 volume).
Extents: 15 items, 1 volume
Dates: 1897-1898, 1900, 1926-1932
37 letters written by, or to, Sir John Chancellor, including letters about India, Mauritius, Palestine, Cyprus and South Africa.
Extents: 37 items (107 ff.)
Diaries and letters home, relating to the service of Lady Daphne Moore's husband, Henry, in Bermuda, Nigeria, Kenya and Sierra Leone, 1922-1947.
Extents: 2 boxes
Transcript of an interview (1970) with Sir Frederick Johnson Pedler relating to his service in the Colonial Office and in Africa, 1930-1968. Typescript.
Extents: 60 ff.
Letter book of Sir Henry Ernest G. Bulwer as Governor of Natal (1882-1885) and schedule of despatches from Bulwer to the Secretary of State (1882, 1883 and 1884).
Extents: 1 volume
Letter book of Sir Peregrine Maitland as Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Cape Colony. Contains copies of 31 letters to and from Maitland, including correspondence with representatives of churches in Cape Town (1847).
Extents: 1 volume
Dates: May 1846-December 1848
Copies of selected letters of Sir Graham John Bower, 1895-1928. Microfilm.
Extents: 2 Reels
Letters to George Macartney, 1st Earl Macartney, whilst Governor of the Cape of Good Hope (microfilm)
Letter-book into which have been inserted letters from Britain to the Cape, 1797-1798, mainly instructions to Macartney. Microfilm.
Extents: 1 item
Correspondence and papers mainly relating to his administration of the Cape of Good Hope colony (Cape Colony), with a summary of content. Comprises: Letters to Bourke, 1825-1829 (5 volumes) Drafts and copies of letters from Bourke, 1826-1845 (3 volumes) Indexes to despatches received, 1826-1828 (2 volumes) Instructions to Bourke, 1816-1827 (2 volumes) …
Extents: 31 Volumes
Diaries, reports, memoranda, correspondence, etc., relating to service in Tanganyika (1934-1937); as Secretary to the Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan (1937-1938); as secretary to Lord Hailey in British Tropical Africa (1939) and in the Congo (1940-1942); also personal papers and letters relating to work for the United Africa Company in the Gold Coast (1947-1968).
Extents: 23 boxes, 2 volumes
Despatches, official and personal correspondence, notes and memoranda relating to Chancellor's work as Governor of Mauritius, Governor of Trinidad and Tobago, Governor of Southern Rhodesia, and High Commissioner for Palestine and Trans-Jordan.
Extents: 96 Files
The collection mainly consists of letters, in particular letters from Feetham to his parents. There is also some family correspondence (letters to Feetham's mother from her parents and others, and letters from William Crawley Feetham to his mother with miscellaneous papers); family photographs; and some papers relating to Feetham's chairmanship of the Irish Boundary Commission, 1924-1925, and the Kenya Local Government Commission, 1926.
Extents: 14 boxes, volumes and files
The collection mainly consists of papers (correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, despatches, etc.) relating to Ingrams' administrative service in Mauritius, Gibraltar and Africa. There are also some papers relating to Malaya and the West Indies; press cuttings about the death of Queen Salote in Tonga in 1965; articles collected by Ingrams about the West Indies, India, Ceylon, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaya, the Philippines and Korea; and a manuscript narrative about the loss of the East India…
Extents: 7 boxes
Reminiscences by Bower of his 16 years of service in South Africa. Typescript.
Extents: 1 volume
Travel journals, 1945-1965, as Fisheries Adviser, Colonial Office, covering West, Central and East Africa, the Middle East, Far East and Indian subcontinent, also North Borneo (now Sabah, Malaysia) and Fiji.
Extents: 12 Volumes
- Indexed subjects: Africa -- Officials and employees X
- Indexed subjects
- 20th century 11
- 19th century 9
- Africa -- Officials and employees 7
- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Officials and employees 5
- Governors -- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Correspondence 4
- South Africa -- Officials and employees 4
- 18th century 3
- Asia -- Officials and employees 3
- Colonial administrators -- South Africa 3
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- 18th century 2
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- 19th century 2
- Trinidad and Tobago -- Officials and employees 2
- Africa -- Description and travel 1
- Asia -- Description and travel 1
- Bermuda -- Officials and employees 1
- Colonial administrators 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa -- Interviews 1
- Colonial administrators -- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Africa -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Africa -- Diaries 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Bermuda -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Bermuda -- Diaries 1
- Fiji -- Description and travel 1
- Fiji -- Officials and employees 1
- Fisheries -- Africa 1
- Fisheries -- Asia 1
- Fisheries -- Fiji 1
- Gibraltar -- Officials and employees 1
- Governors -- Africa 1
- Governors -- Africa -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Asia 1
- Governors -- Asia -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) 1
- Governors -- KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa) -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Trinidad and Tobago 1
- Governors -- Trinidad and Tobago -- Correspondence 1
- Great Britain -- Colonies 1
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Africa 1
- Jameson's Raid, 1895-1896 -- Personal narratives 1
- KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa) -- Officials and employees 1
- Mauritius -- Officials and employees 1
- Middle East -- Officials and employees 1
- Politicians -- South Africa 1
- Reminiscences 1
- South Africa -- History -- Frontier Wars, 1811-1878 1
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives 1
- Voyages and travels -- Diaries 1 ∧ less
- Indexed names
- Great Britain | Colonial Administrative Service 10
- Macartney | George | 1737-1806 | 1st Earl Macartney | diplomatist and colonial governor 3
- Bower | Sir | Graham John | 1848-1933 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 2
- Chancellor | John Robert | 1870-1952 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 2
- Barkly | Henry | 1815-1898 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Bourke | Richard | 1777-1855 | Sir | Knight General Colonial Governor 1
- Bower | Graham John | 1848-1933 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Brooke | Robert | d 1802 | Governor of St Helena 1
- Bulwer | Henry Ernest Gascoyne | 1836-1914 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Dundas | Henry | 1742-1811 | 1st Viscount Melville | statesman 1
- Eyre | William | 1805-1859 | Sir | Knight Major General 1
- Feetham | Richard | 1874-1965 | South African Politician 1
- Feetham | William Crawley | fl 1870-1960 | vicar in South Africa 1
- Great Britain | Colonial Office 1
- Great Britain | Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan 1
- Hickling | Charles Frederick | 1902-1977 | Fisheries Adviser Colonial Service 1
- Ingrams | William Harold | 1897-1973 | Colonial Administrator Author 1
- Ireland | Irish Boundary Commission 1
- Kenya | Local Government Commission 1
- Maitland | Peregrine | 1777-1854 | Sir | Knight General Colonial Governor 1
- Montagu | John | 1797-1853 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Moore | Lady | Daphne | 1900-1990 | wife of Sir Henry Monck-Mason Moore Colonial Administrator 1
- Moore | Sir | Henry Monck-Mason | 1887-1964 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Newton | William | d 1915 | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Pedler | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Pedler | Sir | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 1
- Rawson | Rawson William | 1812-1899 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Southey | Richard | 1808-1901 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- United Africa Company 1
- White | Robert | fl 1850-1880 | partner in Godlonton, White & Co. of Graham's Town 1 ∧ less