Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Archive of Alfred Milner, Viscount Milner related to his political career, and including mainly correspondence with Earl of Selborne as well as papers of other members of the Palmer family.
Extents: 69.90 Linear metres (699 shelfmarks)
Reproduced typescript entitled "Yrs., C.J. Rhodes: the letters of an imperialist", a collection of many of Rhodes' letters, edited by Thomas William Baxter.
Extents: 2 Volumes
Dates: 1974 (copies of originals dated 1868-1902)
Correspondence between Cecil John Rhodes and Albert Henry George Grey, 4th Earl Grey. Photocopies.
Extents: 1 volume
Letters and telegrams received, arranged by the original subject headings as follows Administrators [Rhodesia], 1897-1902 Cape Colony, 1890-1900 Charter (Matabeleland & Mashonaland), 1889-1896 - Charter referring to the British South Africa Company Charter (Home Board), 1897-1902 Charter (Cape), 1898-1901 …
Extents: 28 Volumes
Letter books, 1897-1902; telegrams, 1893-1903; index, including for collection MSS. Afr. s. 228).
Extents: 9 boxes
Copies of telegrams (mostly typescript) to and from Cecil John Rhodes, with related telegrams and letters, written during the Matabele War and the peace negotiations in the Matoppos, August-October 1896.
Extents: 24 ff.
Map of Africa produced by Stanford with annotations made by Cecil John Rhodes indicating his projected railways.
Extents: 4 items
Wills and related papers, with some additional material, including holograph letters (1889-1901).
Shelfmark: MSS. Afr. t. 1
Extents: 1 volume
The papers comprise: the (empty) autograph album of Katherine Lewis letters removed from the album, 1860-1934, n.d., several to members of the Lewis family, mainly to Elizabeth, Lady Lewis, and Katherine Lewis, with some to George Lewis, 1st Bart. Many of the letters are from the same correspondents as in the main part of the Lewis papers (Dep. c. 831-853), including Sir James Barrie, Max…
Extents: 3 shelfmarks
Dates: 19th-20th cent.
Reports, minutes, papers and correspondence (chiefly of George Cawston), 1888-1911, including official correspondence regarding the Jameson Raid and report of Jameson's trial; together with the Report of the Select Committee on British South Africa, 1896/1897, and H.H. Johnston's Report on the Nyasa-Tanganyika expedition, 1889-1890.
Extents: 16 Volumes
Family letters and papers, 1758-1975 Family letters and papers, with miscellaneous papers relating to the Jameson Raid, 1870-1973 Wills and papers relating to family inheritances and descent, 1758-1975 Notebooks, diaries, family trees, photographs, etc., 1866-1906 Cecil John Rhodes's notebooks and commonplace book, with copies of letters written to…
Extents: 6 boxes, 2 volumes
Collection of newspaper cuttings about Cecil Rhodes, 1881-1905, compiled by Simmonds.
Shelfmark: MSS. Afr. s. 2297
Extents: 1 box
Undated first draft of The life of Jameson by Ian Duncan Colvin (London, E. Arnold and co., 1922) Manuscript of projected book by Charles Cowen on Rhodes, with related papers, 1874-1912 Papers of Gordon Le Sueur, comprising miscellaneous letters and papers relating to Rhodes, and draft material for a biography, 1897-1907 Papers of E.A.…
Extents: 7 boxes, 4 volumes, 1 file
Album of newspaper cuttings and printed material relating to the life and career of Rhodes in Southern Africa, including a biography (Miniature series) by Ada S. Frost entitled The right hon. Cecil J. Rhodes (London: 1902).
Extents: 38 ff.
Typescript compiled by Cyril B. Harris, entitled My association with Cecil Rhodes and stories of the siege of Kimberley, as told on 16th April 1951 by W.D. Fynn, Superintendent of Farms for De Beers for 33 years. Includes a photograph of Rhodes at the site where he was later buried (Matopo Hills, Rhodesia) and another of a portrait of Rhodes, two letters from Ernst Oppenheimer, Chairman of De Beers, 1951, a letter from Rhodes about sheep and angoras, 1899, and…
Shelfmark: MSS. Afr. s. 2301
Extents: 66 ff.
Album of photographs of the Groote Schuur Estate including some showing the aftermath of the fire of 1896.
Extents: 1 volume
Watercolour portrait of Cecil Rhodes by Cecil Cutler Pen and ink cartoon by Sir Francis Carruthers Gould, Mr. Rhodes will not be interviewed Photograph album of 90 views of South African importance presented by the Photographic Club of Cape Town, 1898 Photograph album of 24 views of Groote Schuur and its environs, 1898 …
Extents: 6 albums, 2 items
Set of stamps for the British South Africa Company, presented to Miss Georgina Page by Cecil Rhodes in 1894.
Shelfmark: Afr. s. 2306
Extents: 1 folder
- Indexed subjects
- 20th century 15
- Africa, Southern -- History 4
- Jameson's Raid, 1895-1896 3
- South Africa -- History -- 1836-1909 2
- Zimbabwe -- History -- 1890-1965 2
- 18th century 1
- Afrikaners -- Botswana 1
- Afrikaners -- South Africa 1
- Agriculture -- Africa, Southern 1
- Biography 1
- Botswana -- History 1
- Correspondence 1
- Emigration and immigration -- Africa, Southern 1
- Genealogy 1
- Gold mines and mining -- Africa, Southern 1
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Africa, Southern 1
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- Great Britain--Colonies--Africa 1
- Great Britain--War Cabinet 1
- Groote Schuur (Cape Town, South Africa) -- Photographs 1
- Home rule--Ireland 1
- Kimberley (South Africa) -- History -- Siege, 1899-1900 -- Personal narratives, British 1
- Ladysmith (South Africa) -- History -- Siege, 1899-1900 1
- Letters 1
- Letters -- Collections 1
- Maps -- Africa 1
- Meat industry and trade -- Africa, Southern 1
- Mozambique -- History -- 19th century 1
- Postage stamps -- Africa, southern -- History -- 19th century 1
- Railways -- Zimbabwe 1
- Recipes 1
- South Africa -- History -- 1838-1909 1
- South African Customs Union Conference--(1903 : Bloemfontein, South Africa) 1
- South African War, 1899-1902 1
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives -- British 1
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Pictorial works 1
- Telegraph -- Africa 1
- Wills 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- Zambia -- History -- 1890-1924 1
- Zimbabwe -- History -- Ndebele Revolt, 1896 1 ∧ less
- Indexed names
- British South Africa Company 4
- Amery | Leopold Charles Maurice Stennett | 1873-1955 | politician and journalist 1
- Balfour | Arthur James | 1848-1930 | 1st Earl of Balfour | statesman 1
- Barrie | Sir | James Matthew | 1860-1937 | 1st Baronet | playwright and novelist 1
- Baxter | Thomas William | fl 1974 1
- Beerbohm | Sir | Henry Maximilian | 1872-1956 | Knight | author and cartoonist 1
- Bernhardt | Sarah | 1844-1923 1
- Cawston | George | fl 1888-1911 | barrister-at-law 1
- Chamberlain | Joseph | 1836-1914 | statesman 1
- Curzon | George Nathaniel | 1859-1925 | 1st Marquess Curzon | statesman 1
- De Beers Consolidated Mines Co. 1
- De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd. 1
- Elgar | Sir | Edward William | 1857-1934 | Baronet | composer 1
- Fitzpatrick | Sir | James Percy | 1862-1931 | Knight | South African politician and businessman 1
- Frost | Ada S | fl 1902 1
- Fynn | W.D. | fl 1900 | Superintendent of Farms for De Beers Consolidated Mines Co. 1
- Grey | Albert Henry George | 1851-1917 | 4th Earl Grey | Governor General of Canada 1
- Hutchinson | Sir | Walter Francis Hely- | 1849-1913 | Knight | Colonial Governor 1
- Johnston | Harry Hamilton | 1858-1927 | Sir | Knight Explorer and Colonial Administrator 1
- Kekewich | Robert George | 1854-1914 | Major General 1
- Lewis | Katherine Elizabeth | d 1961 1
- Lewis | Lady | Elizabeth | 1844-1931 | wife of Sir George Lewis 1
- Lewis | Sir | George Henry | 1833-1911 | 1st Baronet | solicitor 1
- Milner | Alfred | 1854-1925 | Viscount Milner | statesman 1
- Moore | George Augustus | 1852-1933 | author 1
- Morris | William | 1834-1896 | poet, artist, and socialist 1
- National Service League 1
- Page | Georgina | fl 1894 | Miss 1
- Palmer | William Waldegrave | 1859-1942 | 2nd Earl of Selborne | statesman 1
- Parkin | Sir | George Robert | 1846-1922 | Knight | educationalist and imperial federationist 1
- Radziwill | Catherine | 1858-1941 | Princess | adventuress 1
- Rhodes Trust 1
- Rhodes | family | 1758-1975 | of Hildersham Hall 1
- Rhodes | family | Dalston 1
- Roberts | Frederick Sleigh | 1832-1914 | 1st Earl Roberts of Kandahar | Field Marshal 1
- Ruskin | John | 1819-1900 | author, artist, and social reformer 1
- Saëns | Charles Camille | Saint- | 1835-1921 | French pianist, organist, and composer 1
- Schreiner | William Phillip | 1857-1919 | South African statesman 1
- Smuts | Jan Christian | 1870-1950 | statesman 1
- Strauss | Richard Georg | 1864-1949 | German composer 1
- Swinburne | Algernon Charles | 1837-1909 | poet 1
- Verlaine | Paul | 1844-1896 | French poet 1
- Wernher, Beit & Co. 1
- Whistler | James Abbot McNeill | 1834-1903 | painter 1
- Wilde | Oscar O'Flahertie Wills | 1856-1900 | author 1
- Zola | Emile | 1840-1902 | French novelist 1 ∧ less