Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Letters written from Cape Colony. Correspondents include Sir Henry Barkly, Robert Brooke, Sir William Eyre, George Macartney, Sir Rawson William Rawson and Sir Richard Southey. Also included are 81 letters from Robert White to his uncle, Robert Godlonton, both partners in the firm of Godlonton, White & Co., printers, publishers and stationers of Graham's Town.
Extents: 2 Volumes
Correspondence of Sir G. J. Bower, with a Narrative about the Jameson Raid and the South African War
Miscellaneous correspondence, 1897-1898, 1926-1932 (15 items), and Bower's narrative written in 1900 of events leading to the Jameson raid and the South African war (1 volume).
Extents: 15 items, 1 volume
Dates: 1897-1898, 1900, 1926-1932
37 letters written by, or to, Sir John Chancellor, including letters about India, Mauritius, Palestine, Cyprus and South Africa.
Extents: 37 items (107 ff.)
Diaries and letters home, relating to the service of Lady Daphne Moore's husband, Henry, in Bermuda, Nigeria, Kenya and Sierra Leone, 1922-1947.
Extents: 2 boxes
Transcript of an interview (1970) with Sir Frederick Johnson Pedler relating to his service in the Colonial Office and in Africa, 1930-1968. Typescript.
Extents: 60 ff.
Copies of selected letters of Sir Graham John Bower, 1895-1928. Microfilm.
Extents: 2 Reels
Diaries, reports, memoranda, correspondence, etc., relating to service in Tanganyika (1934-1937); as Secretary to the Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan (1937-1938); as secretary to Lord Hailey in British Tropical Africa (1939) and in the Congo (1940-1942); also personal papers and letters relating to work for the United Africa Company in the Gold Coast (1947-1968).
Extents: 23 boxes, 2 volumes
Despatches, official and personal correspondence, notes and memoranda relating to Chancellor's work as Governor of Mauritius, Governor of Trinidad and Tobago, Governor of Southern Rhodesia, and High Commissioner for Palestine and Trans-Jordan.
Extents: 96 Files
The collection mainly consists of papers (correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, despatches, etc.) relating to Ingrams' administrative service in Mauritius, Gibraltar and Africa. There are also some papers relating to Malaya and the West Indies; press cuttings about the death of Queen Salote in Tonga in 1965; articles collected by Ingrams about the West Indies, India, Ceylon, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaya, the Philippines and Korea; and a manuscript narrative about the loss of the East India…
Extents: 7 boxes
Reminiscences by Bower of his 16 years of service in South Africa. Typescript.
Extents: 1 volume
- Indexed subjects
- 20th century 9
- Africa -- Officials and employees 6
- 19th century 4
- Colonial administrators -- South Africa 3
- South Africa -- Officials and employees 3
- Asia -- Officials and employees 2
- Trinidad and Tobago -- Officials and employees 2
- 18th century 1
- Bermuda -- Officials and employees 1
- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Officials and employees 1
- Colonial administrators 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa 1
- Colonial administrators -- Africa -- Interviews 1
- Colonial administrators -- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Africa -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Africa -- Diaries 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Bermuda -- Correspondence 1
- Colonial administrators' spouses -- Bermuda -- Diaries 1
- Gibraltar -- Officials and employees 1
- Governors -- Africa 1
- Governors -- Africa -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Asia 1
- Governors -- Asia -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Correspondence 1
- Governors -- Trinidad and Tobago 1
- Governors -- Trinidad and Tobago -- Correspondence 1
- Great Britain -- Colonies 1
- Jameson's Raid, 1895-1896 -- Personal narratives 1
- Mauritius -- Officials and employees 1
- Middle East -- Officials and employees 1
- Reminiscences 1
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives 1 ∧ less
- Indexed names
- Barkly | Henry | 1815-1898 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Bower | Graham John | 1848-1933 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Bower | Sir | Graham John | 1848-1933 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 2
- Brooke | Robert | d 1802 | Governor of St Helena 1
- Chancellor | John Robert | 1870-1952 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 2
- Eyre | William | 1805-1859 | Sir | Knight Major General 1
- Great Britain | Commission on Higher Education in East Africa and the Sudan 1
- Ingrams | William Harold | 1897-1973 | Colonial Administrator Author 1
- Macartney | George | 1737-1806 | 1st Earl Macartney | diplomatist and colonial governor 1
- Montagu | John | 1797-1853 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Moore | Lady | Daphne | 1900-1990 | wife of Sir Henry Monck-Mason Moore Colonial Administrator 1
- Moore | Sir | Henry Monck-Mason | 1887-1964 | Colonial Administrator 1
- Newton | William | d 1915 | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Pedler | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- Pedler | Sir | Frederick Johnson | 1908-1991 | Knight | Colonial Administrator 1
- Rawson | Rawson William | 1812-1899 | Sir | Knight Colonial Governor 1
- Southey | Richard | 1808-1901 | Sir | Knight Colonial Administrator 1
- United Africa Company 1
- White | Robert | fl 1850-1880 | partner in Godlonton, White & Co. of Graham's Town 1