Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Letters to Hannah Buxton nee Gurney, 1804-1840 Family correspondence, 1812-1847 Miscellaneous correspondence and copies of letters from Joseph John Gurney, 1818-1847 New Year and birthday reflections and obituaries, 1813-1845 Scriptural notes, prayers and meditations, 1828-1838 Notebooks, 1812-[c1814] Notes and…
Extents: 46 Volumes
22 ff., 1 volume Letters and papers of or relating to Buxton, including one letter from Thomas Clarkson and two (one a contemporary copy) from William Wilberforce, 1805-1903; also including an account of Mrs. Fry's visit to Glasgow Prison in 1818, written in 1834 by Anna Gurney.
Shelfmark: MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 559
Extents: 1 volume
Letter from Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton to his daughter Priscilla, written six weeks after emancipation, regarding his future work in Parliament; letter from Priscilla to her aunt giving extracts from all of her father's letters from London on the slavery question. The letters are dated 1824-1834.
Shelfmark: MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 547
Extents: 16 ff.
- Indexed subjects
- 20th century 1
- Africa, West -- Discovery and exploration -- English 1
- Apprentices -- West Indies, British 1
- Apprentices -- West Indies, British -- History 1
- Italy -- Description and travel -- 1801-1860 1
- Slavery -- Africa, West -- History -- 19th century 1
- Indexed names
- British and Foreign Bible Society 1
- Clarkson | Thomas | 1760-1846 | Philanthropist 1
- Fry | Elizabeth | 1780-1845 | née Gurney | prison reformer Quaker minister 1
- The British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society 1
- Wilberforce | William | 1759-1833 | MP, Philanthropist 1