Conservative Party Archive: Conservative Central Office - Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations (FUCUA) and Federation of Conservative Students (FCS)
Comprises the following papers:
- FUCUA/FCS - Inter University Correspondence
- FUCUA/FCS - Conservative Association
- FUCUA/FCS - Annual reports
- FUCUA/FCS - University Associations
- FUCUA/FCS - Change of officers, Universities
- FUCUA/FCS - Publicity
- FUCUA/FCS - Relations with National Union
- FUCUA/FCS - Minutes
4.0 linear metres (19 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. CCO 506/25/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
CCO 506/25/1-60; CCO 506/26/1-24; CCO 506/27/1-6; CCO 506/28/1-3; CCO 506/29/1-9; CCO 506/30/1-5; CCO 506/31/1-2; CCO 506/32/1-3
Collection ID (for staff)
CPA CCO 506/D
Archive of the Conservative Party Youth Organisation: Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations/Federation of Conservative Students, 1949-1986.
Biographical / Historical
The Federation of University Conservative and Unionists Associations FUCUA) was set up in the late 1940s to act as a bridge between the student movement and the Conservative Party. The students were organised not in the constituency associations but in separate branches of the Federation based on universities and colleges. It was renamed the Federation of Conservative Students (FCS) following the recommendation of its General Purposes Committee on 18th February 1967. Following its controversial swing to the right, it was closed down by the then Party Chairman, Norman Tebbit for bringing the Party into disrepute, and replaced by the Conservative Collegiate Forum in 1986.
The archive of the Conservative Party was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership of the archive has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The archive includes records from all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Conservative Party.
- 20th century
- Conservative Party
- Conservative Party (Great Britain)
- Conservative Party | Conservative Central Office
- Conservative Party | National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations
- Conservative Party | affiliated organisations
- Federation of Conservative Students
- Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Universities and colleges
- Youth -- Political activity -- Great Britain
- Conservative Party Archive: Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations/Federation of Conservative Students
- Finding aid prepared by Annaliese Griffiss and Abigail Spokes
- Language of description
- Script of description