Conservative Party Archive: Conservative Central Office - Young Conservatives
Comprises the following papers:
- Young Conservatives - National Advisory Committee
- Young Conservatives - Policy Reports
- Young Conservatives - National conference
- Young Conservatives - Membership and Recruitment
- Young Conservatives - External Relations
- Young Conservatives - Publicity
- Young Conservatives - Publications
- Young Conservatives - Policy Organisation Reports
- Young Conservatives - Council for London
2.66 linear metres (20 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. CCO 506/15/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
CCO 506/14-18; CCO 506/19/1-3; CCO 506/19/5-7; CCO 506/19/9; CCO 506/20-21; CCO 506/23-24
Collection ID (for staff)
CPA CCO 506/C
Archive of the Conservative Party Youth Organisation: Young Conservatives, 1946-1995.
Biographical / Historical
The Young Conservatives evolved out of the Junior Imperial League and was more closely integrated with Party structure at every level. It was formed as a National Advisory Committee of the National Union, with Area Advisory Committees at Area level and branches in most constituencies. In its early years it proved phenomenally successful, with over 1,000 branches formed in its first 6 months, and 2,375 by its peak in December 1949. Thereafter membership dropped off, from 160,433 in 1949 to 27,500 in 1978, and 6-9,000 in 1993. It catered for the 16-30 year old age group. In 1998 it was closed and replaced by a new organisation, Conservative Future.
The archive of the Conservative Party was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership of the archive has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The archive includes records from all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Conservative Party.
- 20th century
- Conservative Party
- Conservative Party | Conservative Central Office
- Conservative Party | Young Conservative and Unionist Organisation
- Conservative Party | affiliated organisations
- Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Youth -- Political activity -- Great Britain
- Conservative Party Archive: Young Conservatives
- Finding aid prepared by Annaliese Griffiss and Abigail Spokes
- Language of description
- Script of description