Autographs and Letters Collected by Emma Sewell
Three volumes of autographs and letters, mainly addressed to James Edwards Sewell, William Sewell or Elizabeth Missing Sewell, 1838-94, collected by their sister Emma. The collection was continued to 1913 by their nephew Robert Sewell of the Madras Civil Service.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Autogr. d. 32].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Autogr. d. 32-34
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10772
Biographical / Historical
Emma Sewell (d. 1897) was the sister of James Edwards Sewell (1810-1903), William Sewell (1804-74) and Elizabeth Missing Sewell (1815-1906) - details for the latter three are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 37833-5.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was bought from Mrs. Violet S.C. Pearse, née Sewell, in 1963.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Autographs -- Collections
- Sewell | Elizabeth Missing | 1815-1906 | Author
- Sewell | Emma | d 1897
- Sewell | James Edwards | 1810-1903 | Warden of New College, Oxford
- Sewell | Robert | fl 1913 | of Madras Civil Service
- Sewell | William | 1804-1874 | Founder of St Columba's College and Author
- Autographs and Letters Collected by Emma Sewell
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description