Manuscripts and Papers of E.A. Reade
Manuscripts and papers of E.A. Reade, with letters of W.W. Reade, consisting of:
- Autobiography of E.A. Reade to 1828
- Diary, 1825-1829
- Volume containing a diary, 1828-1831, summaries of events, 1831-1856, and an autobiography, 1828
- 'The early history of Ipsden, Co. Oxon. and its neighbourhood', with four maps
- An account, written after 1864, of the parishes of North Stoke, Ipsden and Newnham Murren, with a proposal for the reorganization of pastoral duties
- Volume containing 'The antiquities of Wallingford' by Richard Skirmer, c. 1720, copied and annotated by E.A. Reade, and 'An enquiry into the history of Wallingford before and during the Roman occupation', with three maps, 1864
- Letters from W.W. Reade to Rosina Bulwer-Lytton, Lady Lytton, 1860-1863
- 19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. d. 260].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. d. 260-264; Eng. lett. e. 7; Top. Berks. d. 28; Top. Oxon. d. 342-343
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13375
Biographical / Historical
Edward Anderdon Reade (1807-1886) was a Bengal civil servant and historian. His nephew was William Winwood Reade (1838-1875), traveller and novelist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 45238-46.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1938.
- 19th century
- Bulwer-Lytton | Rosina Doyle | 1802-1882 | wife of 1st Baron Lytton | novelist
- Diaries -- 19th century
- Ipsden (England)
- Ipsden (England) -- History
- Newnham Murren (England)
- North Stoke (Oxfordshire, England)
- Oxfordshire (England)
- Parishes -- England -- Oxfordshire
- Reade | Edward Anderdon | 1807-1886 | Bengal Civil Servant and Historian
- Reade | William Winwood | 1838-1875 | Traveller and Novelist
- Wallingford (England) -- Antiquities
- Wallingford (England) -- History
- Manuscripts and Papers of E.A. Reade
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description