Papers of C. Anne E. Moberly and Eleanor F. Jourdain
Papers of C. Anne E. Moberly and Eleanor F. Jourdain, relating to their experiences at Versailles in 1901, when they saw what they later surmised to be the ghost of Marie Antoinette. Their experiences are described in An adventure (London, 1911). The papers include:
- Accounts of their visits to Versailles, 1901-1911, with related correspondence and photographs
- Maps, engravings and photographs of the Petit Trianon, collected 1901-1902
- Letters and statements, 1901-1925
- Notes on the gardens of Versaille, 1904-1908
- An adventure (2nd ed., London, 1913), annotated by Miss Moberly
- An adventure (3rd ed., London, 1924)
- Newspapers cuttings of reviews of An adventure, 1911
- Correspondence with the Society for Psychical Research, 1911-1913
- Plan pittoresque de la ville et du parc de Versailles, n.d.
- Almanach de Versailles (Paris, 1782), given to Miss Jourdain in 1908
- Julie Lavergne, Légendes de Trianon Versailles et Saint Germain (Paris, 1900)
- Diary of Miss Moberly, 1900-1901
- Diaries of Miss Jourdain, 1901, 1902
Language of Materials
English and French
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 257].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 257, d. 249-256, e. 221-224, f. 73-75, g. 12-13
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13641
Biographical / Historical
Charlotte Anne Elizabeth Moberly (1846-1937) was Principal of St Hugh's College, Oxford, 1886-1915, and wrote under the name Elizabeth Morison. Eleanor Frances Jourdain (d. 1924) was Principal of St Hugh's College, Oxford, 1915-1924. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43675-92.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Miss Moberly and Miss Jourdain in 1928.
- See Scope and Content.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Diaries -- 20th century
- Ghosts -- Versailles -- France
- Jourdain | Eleanor Frances | d. 1924 | Principal of St Hugh's College Oxford
- Marie Antoinette | 1755-1793 | Queen, consort of Louis XVI, King of France
- Moberly | Charlotte Anne Elizabeth | 1846-1937 | Principal of St Hugh's College Oxford and Author called Elizabeth Morison
- Versailles (France)
- Papers of C. Anne E. Moberly and Eleanor F. Jourdain
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description