Papers of R.W.T. Gunther
Papers of R.W.T. Gunther, including papers relating to the Daubeny Laboratory, Magdalen College, Oxford, consisting of:
- Papers, account books, bank books and register of students relating to the Daubeny Laboratory, 1869-1921
- List of members of Magdalen College, with biographical notes and some press-cuttings, 1890-1920
- Notebooks of Gunther on elementary biology, zoology, fauna and various other subjects, 1886-98
- Letters and papers, 1896-1904, relating to Gunther's journey to Persia in 1898, and his studies of the flora and fauna of Lake Urmia
- Lectures and papers by Edward Chapman, tutor in natural science at Magdalen College, 1863-77
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 343].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 343-344, c. 771, d. 1192-1197, e. 1293-1301, f. 759-761
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12992
Biographical / Historical
Robert William Theodore Gunther (1869-1940) was a zoologist and antiquary. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43308-28.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1964.
- R.T. Gunther, A history of the Daubeney Laboratory (London, 1904).
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Chapman | Edward | b. ? 1840 | Curator of Oxford Botanic Garden
- Gunther | Robert William Theodore | 1869-1940 | Zoologist and Antiquary
- University College, London
- University of Oxford | Magdalen College
- University of Oxford | Magdalen College | Daubeny Laboratory
- Papers of R.W.T. Gunther
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description