Correspondence and papers of William Gilpin, with later Gilpin family papers, consisting of:
- Observations on the coasts of Hampshire, Sussex, and Kent, relative chiefly to picturesque beauty ... 1774 (London, 1804)
- Observations on several parts of the counties of Cambridge, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex. Also on ... North Wales; ... in two tours ... 1769 ... [and] 1773 (London, 1809)
- Observations on the River Wye, and several parts of South Wales ... 1770 (London, 1782)
- Observations, ... 1772, on several parts of England; particularly the mountains, and lakes of Cumberland, and Westmoreland (2 vols., London, 1786)
- Observations on the Western parts of England ... [and] the Isle of Wight (London, 1798)
- Observations ... made in the year 1776, on several parts of Great Britain; particularly the High-lands of Scotland (2 vols, London, 1789)
- The life of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury (London, 1784)
- Remarks on forest scenery, and other woodland views ... illustrated by the scenes of New-forest in Hampshire. In three books (2 vols, London, 1791)
- Three essays: on picturesque beauty; on picturesque travel; and on sketching landscape: to which is added a poem, On landscape painting (London, 1792)
- Three dialogues on the amusements of clergymen (London, 1796)
- Moral contrasts: or, the power of religion exemplified under different characters (Lymington, 1798)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 73].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 73, c. 387-393, d. 556-588, e. 486-539, f. 178-378
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9820
Biographical / Historical
William Gilpin (1724-1804) was a clergyman, educationist, biographer and topographer. His son was William Gilpin (1757-1848), Rector of Pulverbatch. Details of William Gilpin (1724-1804) are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 42402-697.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers came to the Library in three separate donations, 1962-3. MS. Eng. misc. d. 566/1 was bought at Sotheby's in 1981.
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Benson | Samuel | 1799-1881 | Anglican clergyman, author vicar of St Saviour's, Southwark
- Diaries -- 18th century
- Diaries -- 19th century
- Gilpin | William | 1724-1804 | Clergyman, educationist, biographer and topographer
- Gilpin | William | 1757-1848 | Rector of Pulverbatch
- Great Britain -- Topography
- Gilpin Papers
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description