Working papers of Dame Helen Gardner Relating to her Edition of The divine poems of John Donne
Working papers of Dame Helen Gardner relating to her edition of The divine poems of John Donne, including:
- letters from Herbert Grierson, 1943-50
- a typescript essay, 'The Date, Order and Interpretation of the Holy Sonnets', 
- an amended typescript 'Commentary', annotated 'Version sent to Press & sent back to be cut', n.d.
- 1943-50, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. c. 6076].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 6076-7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13682
Biographical / Historical
Dame Helen Gardner (1908-86) was an English scholar and critic. See Who Was Who for details.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by Dame Helen Gardner, through Robert Shackleton, n.d. [but before April 1980].
- 20th century
- Donne | John | 1573-1631 | Dean of St. Paul's and poet
- Gardner | Dame | Helen Louise | 1908-1986 | literary scholar
- Grierson | Sir | Herbert John Clifford | 1866-1960 | Knight | Professor of English literature at Edinburgh University
- Poetry, English -- 16th century
- Poetry, English -- 17th century
- Working Papers of Dame Helen Gardner Relating to her Edition of The divine poems of John Donne
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description