Skip to main content

Conservative Party Archive: Printed and Published Material: Conservative Party newsletters, journals and periodicals

 Collection

  • How to
    request
Volumes of publications forming the journal of record of the Conservative Party, comprising:
  1. National Union Gleanings, 1893-1912
  2. Gleanings & Memoranda, 1912-34
  3. Politics in Review, 1934-9.
Party-wide monthly magazines and newsletters, comprising:
  1. The Conservative, 1906-7
  2. The Popular View, 1921-4
  3. Home and Politics, 1920-9
  4. Junior Imperial League Gazette, 1921-4
  5. The Man in the Street, 1924-9
  6. The Elector, 1924-38
  7. The Onlooker, 1939-47
  8. Tory Challenge, 1947-53
  9. Onward, 1953-7
  10. Weekly News Letter, 1946-72
  11. Monthly News Letter, 1949-66
  12. Monthly News, 1966-72
  13. Conservative Monthly News,1972-8
  14. Conservative News, 1978-82
  15. Conservative Newsline, 1982-93
  16. Conservative Heartland: The Conservative Party Magazine, 2001-2

Dates

  • 1893-2002

Extent

217 shelfmarks

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

General access conditions apply to this material

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. PUB 220/1]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Full range of shelfmarks:

PUB 59, 98/39, 123-7, 146, 193, 198-9, 210-5, 220, 252/4, 281

Collection ID (for staff)

CPA PUB A

Overview

Included within this section are newsletters, journals and periodicals produced by the Conservative Party or one of its affiliated organisations, intended for Party-wide consumption, 1893-2002. [For newsletters intended for specific groups only within the Party, see the separate catalogue PUB M]. It includes all titles originating from Conservative Central Office, regardless of whether they were produced by the National Union, Central Office or one of its departments, the Conservative Political Centre or the Conservative Research Department.

Biographical / Historical

The Conservative Party Archive (CPA) preserves the records of the Conservative Party’s central and national organisations (primarily what were formerly known before recent changes of name as Conservative Central Office and the National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations) along with certain regional records. It is recognised by the Conservative Party as the official repository for its historic records and those of affiliated organisations, and receives new material on a regular basis.

The CPA was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership and financial responsibility for the CPA has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust.

Papers held in the Archive represent all three areas of Party organisation: elected, through the papers of the 1922 Committee, Shadow Cabinet and Chief Whip’s Office; voluntary, through the papers of the National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations (including its Provincial Councils), and its successor the National Conservative Convention; and professional, through the working files of the Conservative Research Department, Conservative Central Office (including its Area Offices) and its successor, Conservative Campaign Headquarters and their many departments and committees. With few exceptions the Archive does not generally hold the private papers of individuals; rather it holds papers created by them in the course of carrying out their official Party duties. Although the parliamentary party constitutes the longest-established element of Conservative Party organisation, dating back to the Tory grouping in the House of Commons of the 17th century, the papers of the National Union are by far the oldest in the Archive, with a virtually unbroken series of minutes dating back to 1867. Conservative Central Office was established in 1870, but many records were lost to salvage drives during the War, and a number of moves by Central Office since led to the destruction of still more, particularly from the period before 1939. As a result, the archive consists predominantly of post-Second World War material. The records of the Conservative Research Department, housed separately from Conservative Central Office until 1979, date back to its foundation in 1929.

Custodial History

The Conservative Party Archive (CPA) was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership and financial responsibility for the CPA has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The CPA preserves the records of all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional. It is recognised by the Conservative Party as the official repository for its historic records and those of affiliated organisations, and receives new material on a regular basis.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Conservative Party.

Related Materials

This catalogue consists of Party-wide titles only. For newsletters and magazines produced by Conservative Central Office departments or Advisory Committees of the National Union, for specific groups only within the Party, such as Women, Trade Unionists, Teachers, etc, see catalogue PUB/M: Printed Material: Conservative Party sectional-interest newsletters, journals and periodicals.
Title
Conservative Party Archive: Published Material: Conservative Party newsletters, journals and periodicals
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Jeremy McIlwaine
Date
2014
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom