Papers of Hastings Rashdall
Letters and papers of Hastings Rashdall, including:
- Letters to Rashdall's mother, 1869-1879, 1907
- Letters to Rashdall from H. Montagu Butler, 1875-1917
- Diary kept by Rashdall at Harrow school, 1874
- Letters to Rashdall, with copies of some replies, 1871-1878, 1882-1924
- Drafts of lectures on medieval universities
- Papers and some correspondence about ecclesiastical and theological matters, 1891-1922
- Miscellaneous papers
- Letters and papers about Rashdall's life collected by his widow, Constance Rashdall, 1924-1953
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. GB 0161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 342].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
GB 0161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 342-351, d. 353-362, e. 134-135; Eng. misc. a. 16, c. 588-590, e. 361
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8019, 13819
Biographical / Historical
Hastings Rashdall (1858-1924) was Dean of Carlisle and a historian. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41396-422.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Hastings Rashdall's widow in 1953.
- Papers of Hastings Rashdall
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description