Papers of the Russell Family of Swallowfield, Berkshire
Papers of the Russell family, mainly of Sir Henry Russell, including:
- Letter-books of Charles Russell, first assistant Resident at Hyderabad, 1806-1811
- Correspondence of Sir Henry Russell, 1st Baronet, 1803-1833
- Papers of Sir Henry Russell, 2nd Baronet, 1802-1857, including correspondence with his brother Charles, 1802-1852; papers relating to India, particularly Hyderabad, 1808-1827; journals, 1820-1838, giving accounts of travels abroad; and papers relating to Swallowfield, Berkshire
- Papers of Charles Russell, brother of Sir Henry, including correspondence, 1823-1851, and a journal of a tour through France and Italy, 1836-1837
- Journal of Anne Russell, eldest sister of Sir Henry, 1804
- Papers of Sir Charles Russell, 3rd Baronet, 1856-1881, and Sir George Russell, 4th Baronet, ca. 1883-1918
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 148].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 148-180, d. 149-164, e. 42-43; Eng. misc. a. 9, b. 68, c. 324-329, d. 461, e. 391-394, f. 94
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8361
Biographical / Historical
The Russell family of Swallowfield, Berkshire, included Sir Henry Russell, 2nd Baronet (1783-1852), who was British Representative at Court of Hyderabad. See The Indian Archives, 8 (1954), 59-66, 135-163.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40965-41029.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1952.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Berkshire (England)
- France -- Description and travel
- Hyderabad (India)
- Italy -- Description and travel
- Russell | Anne | 1788-1808 | daughter of Sir Henry Russell, 1st Baronet
- Russell | Charles | 1786-1856 | Bengal Army Officer and MP for Reading
- Russell | Charles | 1826-1883 | Sir | 3rd Baronet, Lieutenant Colonel, and MP
- Russell | Charles | fl 1806-1811 | first assistant Resident at Hyderabad
- Russell | Henry | 1751-1836 | Sir | 1st Baronet, Indian Judge
- Russell | Henry | 1783-1852 | Sir | 2nd Baronet, British Representative at Court of Hyderabad
- Russell | family | baronets | Swallowfield Park
- Swallowfield (England)
- Papers of the Russell Family of Swallowfield, Berkshire
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description