Family Papers of Lord Stuart of Wortley
Family papers of Lord Stuart, consisting of:
- Typescript copies of correspondence between Mary Caroline Crichton, Countess of Erne, her daughter and son-in-law, Lord and Lady Wharncliffe, and their daughter Jane, 1834-1835
- Notes by Lord Stuart of Wortley on the above copies, 1908
- Account book of Jane Stuart-Wortley, mother of Lord Stuart of Wortley, 1863-1867
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 145].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 145, e. 35-37; Eng. misc. d. 348
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7998, 7999
Biographical / Historical
Charles Beilby Stuart-Wortley, 1st Baron Stuart of Wortley (1851-1926). Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40958-62.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1953.
- The copies were made for Charles Stuart-Wortley, Lord Stuart of Wortley, and used in Caroline Grosvenor and Lord Stuart of Wortley, The first Lady Wharncliffe and her family (London, 1927).
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Crichton | Mary Caroline | d 1842 | wife of 1st Earl of Erne
- Stuart-Wortley | Charles Beilby | 1851-1926 | 1st Baron Stuart of Wortley
- Stuart-Wortley | Jane | d 1900 | wife of James Archibald Stuart-Wortley
- Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie | Caroline Mary Elizabeth | d 1853
- Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie | James Archibald | 1776-1845 | 1st Baron Wharncliffe and Statesman
- Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie | Jane | fl 1834-1835
- Family Papers of Lord Stuart of Wortley
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description