Microfilms and Reproductions of Manuscripts collected by Professor Michael Winterbottom
Microfilms and reproductions mostly of medieval and renaissance manuscripts of Latin classical texts, collected by Dr Michael Winterbottom, consisting of:
- Quintilian, Institutio oratoria - see M. Winterbottom's edition, Oxford Classical Texts, 2 vols., 1970, and his articles, 'Fifteeth-century manuscripts of Quintilian' in The Classical Quarterly, N.S. 17 (1967), pp. 339-69, and 'Quintilian, Institutio oratoria' in Texts and Transmission: a survey of the Latin classics (ed. L.D. Reynolds), Oxford 1983, pp. 332-4.
- Quintilian (?), Declamationes minores - see M. Winterbottom's edition, The Minor Declamations ascribed to Quintilian (= Texte und Kommentare, 13), Berlin & New York 1984; and his article, 'Quintilian (?), Declamationes minores', in Texts and Transmissions, p. 337.
- Tacitus, Minor Works: Dialogus, Germania - see M. Winterbottom's edition (with R.M. Ogilvie) of Cornelii Taciti opera minora, Oxford Classical Texts, Oxford 1975, and his articles 'The transmission of Tacitus' Dialogus', Philologus, 116 (1972), pp. 114-28, 'The manuscript tradition of Tacitus' Germania', Classical Philology, 70 (1975), pp. 1-7, and 'Tacitus, Minor Works', in Texts and Transmission, pp. 410-11.
- Abbo of Fleury, Vita S. Edmundi - see M. Winterbottom's edition, in Three Lives of English Saints (Toronto Medieval Latin Texts), Toronto 1972, esp. pp. 8-10, 12-13, 65-87, 91-2.
- Other texts
- 20th cent.
Language of Materials
Latin and Ancient Greek
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Film 1899].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Film 1899-1942; MS. Photogr. c. 24/1-6
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13869
Biographical / Historical
Michael Winterbottom (b. 1934) is Corpus Christi Professor of Latin, University of Oxford and Fellow, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Details are given in Who's Who.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The microfilms and reproductions were given to the Library by Professor Michael Winterbottom in 1990.
Existence and Location of Copies
The originals are located in various places, see catalogue for further details.
See Scope and Content
- 20th century
- Abbo of Fleury | ? 945-1004 | French monk
- Classical literature
- Cornelius Tacitus | Publius or Gaius | 56-? 120 | Latin teacher and writer
- Fabius Quintilianus | Marcus | 35-? 96 | Roman rhetorician
- Fleury | Abbo of | ? 945-1004 | see Abbo of Fleury
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Quintilian | 35-? 96 | see Fabius Quintilianus, Marcus
- Tacitus | 56-? 120 | see Cornelius Tacitus, Publius or Gaius
- Winterbottom | Michael | b 1934 | Corpus Christi Professor of Latin
- Microfilms and Reproductions of Manuscripts collected by Professor Michael Winterbottom
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description