Papers of Private William Ward, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
The papers comprise:
- miscellaneous memoranda
- lists of men and provisions
- a list of Ward's whereabouts, 1894-1902, mainly during the Boer war
- copies of army orders, 1900
- maps of and notes on the battles of Colenso and Dundee, and the assault on Ladysmith, 1899-1900
- a list of degrees of drunkenness, ranging from 'Mortally inebriated' to 'Sober as a judge'.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. Hist. e. 382].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. Hist. e. 382, f. 85
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13856
Biographical / Historical
Private William Ward, later Sergeant, (fl. 1894-1902) of the 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library with related papers (MSS. Eng. misc. c. 882, fols. 188-206), in 1982.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Colenso, Battle of, South Africa, 1899
- Great Britain -- Army -- Leicestershire Regiment
- Ladysmith (South Africa) -- History -- Siege, 1899-1900
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Campaigns
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- South Africa -- KwaZulu-Natal
- Talana Hill, Battle of, South Africa, 1899
- Ward | William | fl 1894-1902 | Sergeant, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
- Papers of Private William Ward, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description