Photocopies of Manuscripts containing Commentaries on the Gospels Annotated by Miss B. Smalley
Photocopies of manuscripts containing commentaries on the Gospels annotated by Miss B. Smalley comprising:
- (fols. 84v-87v) Part of Augustine, Sermo 9 (from cap. V ut fieret dies sine fine: P.L. 38, col. 80-91); (fols. 87v-90v) Gennadius, 'Dogma ecclesiasticum' (P.L. 42, col. 1211-1222, ending at cap. LIII); (fols. 91-190v) 'Expositio ex diversis auctoris a domino Ansello [sic] Laudunensi phylosopho exquisitim collecta super evangelium domini nostri Ihesu Christi secundum Mattheum' (Stegmüller, Rep. Bibl., no. 1359). 12th century. From St Evroult. fols. 110v-118, 135-190v. Annotations and corrections throughout are in the hand of Ordericus Vitalis (d. c. 1143). ( Alençon, Bibliotheque municipale MS. 26, fols. 84v-190v).
- Commentaries of Alexander of Hales on the Gospels of Saints Matthew, Mark and Luke (Stegmüller, Rep. Bibl., no.1151, 1152 and 1153). The commentaries on Matthew and Mark are anonymous. The commentary on Luke is headed (fol. 110) 'Hic incipit Lucas secundum magistrum Alexandrum'. Written in Italy (?) in the first half of the 13th century. From San Francesco, Assisi (Assisi, Biblioteca Comunale MS. 355, fols. 1-89, 90v, 110-153v).
- Commentary of Peter Comestor on Gospel of St. John (Stegmüller, Rep. Bibl., no. 6578). Headed (fol. 1) 'Glosule Iohannis secundum Comestorem'. Written in France in the 13th century. From the library of the Sorbonne (Paris, Bibliotheque Nationale, MS. lat. 15269, fols. 1-28v).
- 20th cent. (copies of 12th and 13th cent. originals)
Language of Materials
Latin and English
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Facs. c. 73].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Facs. c. 73-5
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13527
Biographical / Historical
Miss Beryl Smalley (1905-84) was a scholar of medieval history and theology.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by Miss B. Smalley in 1979.
- Photocopies of Manuscripts containing Commentaries on the Gospels Annotated by Miss B. Smalley
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description