Correspondence of Bradbury and Evans, mainly relating to Punch
Correspondence of Bradbury and Evans, mainly relating to Punch, 1833-1900. The correspondence is arranged alphabetically, and as well as letters from the regular staff of Punch, the collection also includes letters from Wilkie Collins, Charles Kingsley, Bulwer Lytton, Harriet Martineau, George Meredith, John Everett Millais, Charles Reade, Alfred Tennyson, William Thackeray and Anthony Trollope. Many of the letters from Punch illustrators contain sketches and cartoons.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. d. 396].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. d. 396-8
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13365
Biographical / Historical
Bradbury and Evans (which became Bradbury and Agnew in 1872) was a printing firm. The firm owned the title Punch from 1842, until it was sold to United Newspapers in 1969.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1977.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Bradbury and Agnew | printers
- Bradbury and Evans | printers
- Caricatures and cartoons
- Collins | William Wilkie | 1824-1889 | novelist and playwright
- English wit and humour -- periodicals
- Kingsley | Charles | 1819-1875 | Canon of Westminster and author
- Lytton | Edward George Earle Lytton | Bulwer- | 1803-1873 | 1st Baron Lytton | statesman and novelist
- Martineau | Harriet | 1802-1876 | writer
- Meredith | George | 1828-1909 | novelist and poet
- Millais | Sir | John Everett | 1829-1896 | Knight | painter
- Reade | Charles | 1814-1884 | novelist and dramatist
- Tennyson | Alfred | 1809-1892 | 1st Baron Tennyson | poet
- Thackeray | William Makepeace | 1811-1863 | novelist, journalist, and cartoonist
- Trollope | Anthony | 1815-1882 | novelist
- Correspondence of Bradbury and Evans, mainly relating to Punch
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description