Drawings of Berkshire Churches and their Contents
Drawings of Berkshire churches and their contents, many by J.C. Buckler, collected by Henry Hinton and James Hunt, early 19th century, and continued by Sir Thomas Phillips, who bought them from Hunt in 1820. The drawings are arranged alphabetically by parish, A-G, H-R, S-W.
- early 19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. Berks. c. 49].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. Berks. c. 49-51
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8885
Biographical / Historical
J.C. Buckler (1793-1894), Henry Hinton (1749-1816), James Hunt (1795-1857) and Thomas Phillipps (1792-1872, see the Dictionary of National Biography for further details on Phillipps) were all antiquaries.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 53743-5.
Philipps MS. 24118.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Hodgson's, 29 Jan. 1959, lot 628.
- 19th century
- Berkshire (England)
- Buckler | John Chessell | 1793-1894 | Architect and Antiquary
- Church buildings -- England -- Berkshire
- Hinton | Henry | 1749-1816 | Oxfordshire Antiquary
- Hunt | James | 1795-1857 | Oxfordshire Antiquary
- Phillipps | Sir | Thomas | 1792-1872 | Baronet | Antiquary, and Collector of MSS and Books
- Drawings of Berkshire Churches and their Contents
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description