Articles by Alan Bennett, 1967-2004
MS. Bennett 177
Handwritten, typed text and copies of published articles on a variety of topics. Includes one profile of Alan Bennett and one piece by unknown author. Some of this material may also appear in some form in the published compilations of his work. Some of this material may appear in some form in the published compilations of his work, Writing Home and Untold Stories.
- (fols. 1-3) Typed text regarding Gordon Walker and the plans for the British Museum reading room, undated but regarding events of 1967, annotated by Alan Bennett. [Not known if or where this was published] (= Closed).
- (fols. 4-6) Proofs of two articles by Alan Bennett regarding the BBC for The Listener, in envelope postmarked 16 Aug. 1967 (= Closed).
- (fols. 7-16) Typed text of article regarding the BBC. Plus letters from The Sunday Times regarding payment for an article, dated 1968 (fols. 7-11 =Closed).
- (fols. 17-22) Copy of The Listener from 7 Nov. 1968 featuring profile of Alan Bennett by D.A.N. Jones.
- (fols. 23-27) Copy of The Listener from 28 Nov. 1968 featuring article "The Stripped-Pine Wilderness - Alan Bennett on the origin and originals of 'Life and Times in NW1'".
- (fols. 28-32) Published and proof copies of text of spoof BBC Radio 4 schedule for 1 Apr. 1971 published in The Times on 4 April 1970.
- (fols. 33-38) Copy of The Listener from 20 May 1976, featuring article "The Pith and its Pitheads" by Alan Bennett regarding the writer and his roots. Later printed in Writing Home.
- (fols. 39-40) Newspaper cutting of profile of Noel Annan [author of piece unknown] published in the New Statesman on 17 Mar. 1978.
- (fols. 41-44) Photocopy of article on Philip Larkin by Alan Bennett titled "Instead of a Present" which appeared in Larkin at Sixty edited by Anthony Thwaite published in 1982.
- (fol. 45) Newspaper cutting of article regarding his television films by Alan Bennett published in Sight and Sound in Spring 1984.
- (fols. 46-47) Typed text titled "Preface to BBC Let's Join In BBC book of fairy stories", undated but first published in 1985, annotated by Alan Bennett.
- (fols. 48-82) Copy of the London Review of Books from 5 June 1986 featuring article "Uncle Clarence", briefly annotated by Alan Bennett. Plus bundle of typed and handwritten notes titled "Uncle Clarence. LRB. May 1986." Includes letter from Commonwealth War Graves Commission dated 3 Feb. 1986.
- (fols. 83-100) Copy of See 4, News from Channel 4, from Autumn 1987 featuring article "The Best Sort of Holiday" by Alan Bennett regarding his television films.
- (fols. 101-134) Copy of Oxford Today Michaelmas issue 1988, featuring article "A Sense of Theatre" by Alan Bennett.
- (fols. 135-140) Copy of The Independent on Sunday on 28 Jan. 1990 featuring article "Alan Bennett remembers the treachery of books" .
- (fols. 141-170) Typed text of "A Common Assault", annotated by Alan Bennett, undated but first published in The London Review of Books on 4 Nov. 2004. See also material for Untold Stories MS. Bennett 175.
Conditions Governing Access
Some material is closed.
MS. Bennett 177