Book reviews by Alan Bennett, 1964-2005
MS. Bennett 170
Handwritten, typed and photocopies of published book reviews written by Alan Bennett of other's work. Some reviews also appeared in the published compilations of his work, Writing Home and Untold Stories, see also MSS. Bennett 172-176, 178.
- (fols. 1-12) Newspaper cutting of review by Alan Bennett of The Governance of Mediaeval England from the Conquest to Magna Carta by H.G. Richardson and G.O. Sayles, published in the New York Review on 19 Mar. 1964.
- (fols. 13-23) Photocopy of proof of review by Alan Bennett of An Actor and his Time by John Gielgud, published in the London Review of Books on 20 Dec. 1979, annotated by Alan Bennett.
- (fols. 24-47) Typed text of review by Alan Bennett of Forms of Talk by Erving Goffman, published in the London Review of Books on 15 Oct. 1981, annotated by Alan Bennett. Plus photocopy of published version.
- (fols. 48-51) Copy of the London Review of Books from 3 Dec. 1981, featuring review by Alan Bennett of A Better Class of Person by John Osborne. This copy also features the text of comedy sketch "Men's Talk" by Alan Bennett.
- (fols. 52-90) Typed and handwritten text titled "Sucks to Auden / The Wrong Blond / LRB" regarding review of Auden in Love by Dorothy Farnan, first published in the London Review of Books on 23 May 1985, annotated by Alan Bennett. Plus copy of published version and letter from editor.
- (fols. 91-105) Handwritten and typed text regarding notes written in 1996 and 2005 on The Fatal Englishman by Sebastian Faulks.
MS. Bennett 170