Play scripts for A Question of Attribution and An Englishman Abroad , 1958-[c.1988]
MS. Bennett 135
Scripts for stage plays of A Question of Attribution and An Englishman Abroad performed as a double bill as Single Spies at the Royal National Theatre, London on 1 Dec. 1988. For television scripts of An Englishman Abroad see MS. Bennett 128. For television scripts of A Question of Attribution please see MS. Bennett 137 and 138.
- (fols. 1-40) Bundle of research papers including newspaper cuttings and photocopied documents from various art historical sources, Hansard and obituaries, originals dating from 1958-83.
- (fols. 41-75) Bundle of notes and newspaper cuttings regarding art history, plus related letters and postcards titled "Spy Stories", dating from 1987-1988.
- (fols. 76-134) Bundle of notes and dialogue titled "Titian. Notes etc for final draft / used", undated.
- (fols. 135-212) Bundle of photocopies of Titian paintings, cut up and stuck back together to make images used in play.
- (fols. 213-258) Typed play script of A Question of Attribution titled "Original MS. Sep.-Oct. 1987", annotated by Alan Bennett.
- (fols. 259-283) Typed play script of An Englishman Abroad titled "Spy Stories (provisional title)", undated, annotated by Alan Bennett
- (fols. 284-348) Typed play scripts of An Englishman Abroad and A Question of Attribution titled Single Spies and titled "Complete but without alterations", undated, annotated by Alan Bennett. Script for An Englishman Abroad is same as above but with more annotation.
MS. Bennett 135